Working & Depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m a 30yo female and a oncology nurse. I have suffered from depression/anxiety pretty much my whole life off and on. I have been on and off medications since th age of 14. I also have a history of drug abuse. 

After my divorce 3 years ago, I felt like I was finally able to get off of medications. I felt “normal” and naturally happy without them. I recently underwent extensive knee surgery about 6 months ago. Ever since then I have felt anxious and depressed again. I got put back on meds about 2 months ago, along with a beta blocker for my heart rate. I know these things take time to really start working but I find it hard to get out of bed and go to work most days. 

Looking back on it, I have not always had the best track record with holding a job. I think the longest I’ve ever stayed at a place was 2-3 years. I’ve had more jobs over the past 10 years of being a nurse than I can count. I have been at my current job for 4 months now and I love it. Some days I can’t wait to go to work and then others I can’t make myself get out of bed. 

Anyone else feel this way? Help! 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Britt. I can understand why you are having issues again with depression. One it takes a special person to be an Oncology nurse in my opinion. Then you have gone through a divorce. From someone who has been through that Britt that's not a joy ride. Top that off with extensive knee surgery and...oh boy.  You have been slammed up against life's door! And hard at that!! The question isn't why you are  it's what wouldn't you be depressed? In September of 2015 I went in for a huge surgery but non invasive. Woke up and I won't give details but I had victim to a horrid botched surgery. and four months later I had to have another surger to repair what they botched in the first. I learned so much from that but one is it takes a long time physically..emotionally and every other way to recover from that. But spiritually I was stronger than ever. Please know we will be here for you write us anytime that you want. Diane

• Posted

One more thing, I don't know your situation but I have relatives that are traveling nurses they make tons of money and don't have to worry about leaving jobs all the time. The companies fly them home often. Just a thought. 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry you had to go through that. I know how emotional and challenging that probably was for you. I hope you are doing better now. Also, thank you for the reply. It helps to let it out sometimes and just have someone to let me know I’m not alone. 
  • Posted

Britt I am doing alright now still have some depression to deal with but in my world that's normal. Sorry about all the mistakes in that first email as I was proofing it I somehow sent it. Just more proof of my many imperfectionssmile!! Hope you have a better day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.