Working Night Shift And Getting Headaches

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All,

I started working on the night shift back in November. (About 3 months now) The first few weeks were normal but then I started getting headaches. Also it would get harder and harder to sleep. I started taking melatonin 3mg and that has helped with my sleep alot thank god on the days that I work. However when it comes time for my days off (2 days off consecutively) I tend to get headaches when I go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning. Most times its on the right side of my head, temples. Sometimes it travels to the left or top of my head.

I went to a neurologist and due to my blood pressure past she ruled it out to that being the reason. However my blood pressure has now been regulated and I still get them.

Long story short during the days I work i dont get headaches and using melatonin I can sleep. During the days im off I try not to use melatonin and I get headaches either when I wake up or later on through the day. Does anyone have any advice on what it could be? I go for an MRI in a few weeks so I can rule out any serious conditions. Anything will help I just want to have peace of mind that this isnt anything life threatening.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julian,

The night shift work is the issue here.  I have had lots of problems working shift work too and the neurologist should know this.

Melatonin helps when you are working nights as you get into a pattern, but then your body doesnt like it when you have 2 days out of work.

maybe a good idea to use the melatonin all the time to help you get the right sleep pattern on your days off.  I have used this method when going from late to early as I have to get up so early the next day, I go to bed early, but unless I take the melatonin I cant sleep until late and then of course I struggle to get up.

Wait until you have had your MRI and talk to the neuro about this.

Let us know how you get on, it will be interesting as it could help me too.

Good luck

• Posted

I know im 5 months late I deeply apologize.

The MRI came back negative for any masses. Im basically all clear and it was me just overthinking and my body not yet accustomed to the night shift. I no longer get these chronic headaches. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Julian! I can relate to what you are saying. I work overnights as well and when I'm off, the first night I sleep, I wake up with a headache. Is your pain on one side of your head? I've done some research and, in my case, I have all the symptoms of "cluster" headaches. The main cause is, "Abnormalities in the biological clock". Which, in our case, is correct! Forcing our bodies to be up all night when they want to be at rest can be damaging to the health. Yet, employers don't acknowledge that working overnights can damage the health. I have found, waking up early enough to catch the headache before it gets worse helps. I'll take a hot shower, in the dark. A completely dark bathroom and hot shower tends to help me a lot! I really want to do more research and see how I can let this be known everywhere. I'm so tired of people saying "you'll get used to working overnights"! Your body never gets used to it!! I've been working overnights for THREE YEARS now. I'll never get used to it!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.