Worried

Posted , 13 users are following.

i feel I am going bacwards. I am 34 weeks post tkr, never had a good bend, feel since beginning that I have a stuck area at side of patella.  Did physio, best was 78 deg!  Tried to fet on with my life, I can walk 2 miles, drive look after my grandchildren but cannot cycle, my hobby.  Tears every day as I try to cycle on excercise bike.  

Consultant says knee is ok but maybe adhesions.  Ohysio said today that it would be best to have MUA.  Im scared of more interventions.  Very down. Help please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately, it sounds like scar tissue has built up since you never attained good flexion. New knees are generally built to go to 130° or so, so not getting close to that can be incredibly inhibitory in the future. I'm really surprised that you're physio didn't work with you more to get standard levels of flexion...trying to break up scar tissue earlier in the process helps keep you from being so limited. While the tearing may be uncomfortable on the bike, trying to keep your range of motion going can only help. I wish I had better advice! Good luck to you - I hope you're able to find some solution!
  • Posted

After that much work and pain it seems to me that the advice of the physio would be best.  Get you back in the bike saddle (which did wonders for me, first time I could get a full rotation on the stationary bike I knew it was downhill from there).  Good luck! 
    • Posted

Thank you for replying, I will continue to push myself but living alone makes it soooo difficult
  • Posted

Hi Carol, it is not a good position to be in. 78° really is not enough to enable you to have a good result from your tkr. I too have a problem with the bend, currently sitting at 81° which I have really had to push hard to achieve over the last 5 weeks, at week 6, I was 41°. It is my intension to keep pushing to prevent an intervention.

An MUA at this stage may help but you should discuss the likelihood of a good outcome with your consultant before you make up your mind.

• Posted

I saw him on Friday, he was very defensive saying operation was a success and he did not promise a miracle. He got almost 10,000 for the oparation!  Said to try more physio before MUA
    • Posted

I too am waiting for physio and I know it is difficult to motivate yourself sometimes to do the exercise, I have an alarm set on my phone to remind me and sometimes when I hear it go off I feel like running for the hills, if only I could. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • Posted

O please don't be down,  I had my first knee done  few years back and never had good bend always got stuck and stiff, but don't let it get you down,  I have a great surgeon and I called him, he saw me and said don't worry I can manipulate that for you under a anaesthetic and so he did. It took ten minutes when I came round I had a drip with paracetamol and had no pain after that. A physiotherapist arrived with sticks but I stood up and walked without them . There is a numb area but now I have second knee done just three weeks ago and I can't wait to get the same result as first, and it seems like it will never get there, but I will .  Patience and perseverance,   Jackie x
  • Posted

Hi Carol can imagine how disappointed and down you must feel after all this time and doing your best! Have you any xray or MRI scan to maybe see what's going on with your knee? There are probably a few of the community out there who've actually had an MUA and could give you some helpful information and maybe reassurance. Keep in touch and get the support you need. Hope you feel stronger soon! Xx
    • Posted

Just waiting x ray results.  Holiday weekend of course.  Thank you all
  • Posted

sometimes I depends on the surgeon but as I said mine is very approachable, I paid for my first knee  private, i was not impressed with after care, so this time I went national health and it was him who manipulated the first knee made no difference to him that he had not done the operation, so if you don't get any help from your  Dr go to your gown GP and he can do you a referral if you discuss it with him as I did,  I hope this info helps. By the way I'm no spring chicken 67 had hip replacement and both knees but I hope that is it, jackie 
  • Posted

Hi Carol, I know how you feel. I am almost 14 weeks post and struggle with both bend and extension. My bend is at 80 and extension at -30. I have muscle adhesions and been told I need surgery to cut these. I have been told I may also need a manipulation. Whilst I know I need the adhesions removing so I can straighten my leg, I'm waiting for more info on the manipulation from my consultant on Thursday.

I had actually been prepared for further surgery as my leg was severely deteriated. I'm only 36 so I need to get it as straight as possible to give me the best chance of a successful time with my new knee. Another future replacement is going to be problematic for me. Due to the complications of my surgery it is like I'm already on my third revision.

If I were you I would find out as much as possible about your options. Muscle adhesions can be loosened by deep tissue massage sometimes so that may be something they can offer first.

I have found my consultant more helpful than physio. I have been told by them not to bother returning until I have the surgery as they cannot help me.

I know what it's like to be so down over this. It feels like everything we've been through up until now is wasted. The way I'm trying to look at it though is that we've been through too much to give up now. I want the best leg I can possibly get. In a way I am lucky in that my leg was so bad prior to surgery that my only other option on the horizon was a wheelchair....that memory is helping me to focus.

Saying that I still worry that further procedures may not help me but I too would love to be able to cycle and swim again. Both are not possible at present.

I doubt my ramblings have helped but all I'm trying to say is please don't be disheartened & dont give up.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Carol im nearly 12 weeks post op and today was the first time I managed to do a full rotation on my static bike and it nearly killed me!!!! but im not driving yet not properly just short journeys to school once a week with my grandaughter! !!! Just kerp trying im sure you will get there Im fed up of people asking me why im not driving and why im not back at work? ??? its getting me down now grrrrr

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.