Worried about chest pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, whenever I lie down (100% of the time) I will get a pressure in chest like it is constricting or there is a lump. Most people describe the globus/lump sensations as primarily being in the neck, but mine is at the center of the chest.

I have had this issue now for about 6 months and my heart is fine, but I was wondering, does anybody else get this chest pressure (not neck?) It is made much worse instantly by lying flat.

It makes it difficult to breathe. I frequently wake up at night and often cannot sleep even if lying on side due to pressure in Chest and difficult breathing. It is so uncomfortable that I cannot recline comfortably for longer than about 10 seconds. If I need to have a lengthy exam of any kind reclined, it is so uncomfortable that I almost pass out by the end (this has happened three times now)

anybody experience anything similar?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I share those symptoms and have had my lungs checked by a immunologist, thoracic surgeon and pulmonologist and my heart checked by a cardiologists with all results being negative. From my investigations and research on reflux some patients experience these symptoms including what is termed mock asthma. I have been told by two surgeons that these particular symptoms are most often corrected by surgery. What I have found is that taking a teaspoon of extra virgin siberaian pine nut oil approximately one hour before meals, eating smaller meals, chewing well and eating slowly as well as not lying down within 4 hours of bedtime helps improve the symptoms greatly. 
    • Posted

Hi frank thank you for the information. I agree that eating smaller lighter meals helps a bit. I also try not to lie down before bedtime but havent quite made a habit of it. 

If you dot mind my asking, have you had the surgery and if so has it helped?

Thanks again its reassuring to hear from others with the same issues

• Posted

That was my first experience of acid reflux. I woke up thinking  I was having a heart attack the pain was so bad.  It’s very frightening!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.