Worried about Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 21 and have been diagnosed with a combination of anxiety and depression, my docs have given me Citalopram 20mg but honestly i havent started them yet, i know that people can change for the worse on these and I dont know what is best??

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phoenix I found them great and they helped me loads its just good to have a plan ready for when,if you want to stop taking them.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Ian that's great thanks, is there anything I should look out for?
  • Posted

Hey Ian that's great thanks, is there anything I should look out for?
  • Posted

They take about 3 weeks before you get any real benefit,when I started I got restless legs at night which drove me nuts but in the end I just got up for while then went to back to bed.you may put n weight but I found it better to sort my head out first and worry about that later,Im still trying that bit,

Ask your dr as soon as possible for therapy,as it takes forever to get any.Anything else dont be afraid to ask,I will help the best I can plus you have found a great site here many caring people on here.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I've been on Citalopram for 7 weeks and I'm not really feeling any better. My mood is low persistently and I am tired all the time. For 1 week I took 10mg then for 3 weeks I took 20mg and for 3 weeks I've been taking 30mg. Anyone know when I'm going to start to feel better?

Thanks for any help in advance

Kate

• Posted

I have what you have, and for many years I toughed it out. Last year when we moved to a new area the stress of the house move caut up with me as well as pressures at work and I had a anxiety attack that led to a depressive state. That was the 3rd time it had happened to me. This time my family said I should get help from the gp and I did. Firstly it was great to tell someone else what I had and that I wasn't the only man who has depressive episodes. I was prescribed 20mg of citalopram and within 4 weeks I was a changed man. Back to my old self, pin sharp they really help. Don't be scared to take them, and if you do, make a promise to yourself that you will commit to a month as that's really when they kick in.
  • Posted

Hi Phoenix

I am three weeks along on 10mg of cit for anxiety. Honestly I agonised about taking them. First two weeks were difficult and I had side effects...not everyone does, by the way. I took them for a year four years ago and had NO side effects. I also know people who take them now and had NO side effects. I feel much better than I did three weeks ago. I am also having some counselling to try to sort issues as don't want to just take cit and not sort things out. I wanted to feel better and tried on my own but if there's a chemical unbalance then the cit will prob help. Good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks everyone, this is great support!

I feel a lot braver to start these tablets now smile xx

• Posted

Hi, I realise your fears but the only thing I can tell you is that they gave me my life back. I felt much more balanced and able to cope. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.