worried about my bladder

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had bph for some years.  Recent psa was negative.  Microscopic urinalysis was negative for urinary tract infectioon.  Symptoms are frequent urination, slowed stream, contstantly having to go and some retention.  The stream staarted slowing a few months ago.  I have never seen blood in my urine or felt any abdominal pain or pain in my back.  I am very worried I may have bladder cancer.  I go for a cystoscopy next week to see if I need or qualify for some sort of procedure related to bph for urinary problems.  I worry they'll find cancer.  I haven't experienced any pain, jjust a lot of urination and anxiety.  I do tend to drink a lot of water.  Several litre throughout the day and some iced coffee also.  I could use some reassurance here.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Your symptons sound like standard BPH. Studies show those with BPH have the same incidence of bladder cancer as the non-BPH population. You're worrying over nothing. Good luck with your cystocopy and any possible treatments for BPH. You will find lots of information regarding treatments here that your doctor may or may not tell you. Whatever you do, don't jump into any surgery without first exploring all your options, many of them non-surgical.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks.  I've been worried that a tumour on my bladder might be causing these symtpoms.

• Posted

Jim, your symptoms sound very like mine and seem to be fairly classic with BHP. Like you I had no real symptoms, except a very high PSA (23.5) and recently the constant urge to pee but with very little effect (and the consequential retention!). After having had to run a important 2 hour meeting where I was obliged to go to the toilet six times I vowed to get something done about it!

I opted for a HoLEP operation to releive my symptoms but others here on the forum have made other choices perhaps because their priorities are different. Anyway there is lots of information here to help make decisions about what comes next.

I had my op 5 weeks ago and am completely "toilet free" going when I want instead of being ruled by the discomfort. No more spasms, no more "desperate for the toilet". Knowing what I know now I would not have waited as long as I did before seeking treatment.

Do let us know what the Urologist finds and do search the forum for others with similar symptoms and find out what they are doing about it.

• Posted

thanks.  I've been urinating tens of times daily.  When I drink water I go every ten to fifteen minutes.  I think I sometimes go up to 100 times per day.  I go several times at night.  I'm reluctant to go out anywhere without wearing protective undergarments due to fears of having to go where there's no available bathroom. 

​this is depressing and causing anxiety as I stay in my apartment(flat) all day doing nothing but thinking hoorrible thoughts.  I am almost wishing death.  I need to get this resolved somehow so I could move on with mylife.  I hope your high psa is not anything serious with you.  I'm glad your procedure worked.

• Posted

I felt exactly as you do before my operation. My inability to stray far from a toilet meant I could do none of the things that made my life interesting. Going out meant planning the journey from one toilet to another. Like you I would wear pads to go out as I couldn't trust myself to stay dry if I had a sudden urge to pee.

Solutions are there to your problems but you need to go on the offensive to research and take control of your condition and not continue to let it take control of you.

• Posted

Other than the upcoming cystoscopy, what tests have they done. If they haven't done a bladder/kidney scan, they should. Not for bladder cancer per say, but to check how well the bladder is emptying as well as the condition of your kidneys. Also, why so much water? Recent reports suggest the "more water the better" thesis, holds (sorry for the pun) doesn't hold any water! Unless you're very active physically, I would think that eight 8oz glasses of fluid (water, coffee, soda, tea, etc.) would be maxium. And remember, you also get water from your solid foods, especially fruits and vegetables. My daily fluid intake is probably closer to 5-6 cups (40 oz) and I am not dehydrated. Also, depending on how your tests come out, ask your doctor about self-catherization as a way to empty your bladder completely. This could allow you the freedom to go about your business in the outside world without running from toilet to toilet, until you decide on a more permanent solution. More informaton on that here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/self-catherization-an-alternative-to-turp-greenlight-holep--336874

Jim

• Posted

Jim

I don't know your age but I am 57 and had the TURP surgery a year ago for my bph only to find out I have Interstitial cystitis. Inflammation of the bladder. When they scope you they will be able to determine what you have. It does not sound like you have cancer. Best of luck.

Carlos

• Posted

Jim48507 slow down first ur psa has a number.... second...if you know u have bph....look into pae surgery and ....third if your psa is high get a diagnose by a biospy man up I know u can do it....if u can get it all situated u will be OK for a pae....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.