Worried about side effects. 17 years old

Posted , 4 users are following.

So far I've taken 6 pills of citalopram 20mg. My doctor told me she wanted me to do some research on this medicine and I found this website. On some papers I got from the pharmacy with my medicine, it says that its more common for people younger than 25 to experience worsening depression, other mental/mood symptoms, or suicidal thoughts/attempts. This really worries me. Later in the papers it also says that "Children may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially loss of appetite and weight loss." Which also worries me. I do not have a scale at my new house, and when I went to the doctor when they weighed me I had lost ten pounds not on the medicine, and if I loose ten more I'll be considered underweight going by my BMI. I was wondering if any of you have taken this at a young age or know someone that has and what side effects they experienced, if any. The first few days of taking it I was a little nauseated, but I haven't been the past two days. I've been more tired then usual, and maybe have had blurred vision. I do not know for sure if the vision is connected. To my knowledge these are the only effects I've experienced so far.

Also, In these papers it says the maximum dosage is 40mg a day. I've read on here of people taking more. Is it only where I live?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hunny

I am not as youn as you but your not far from 18 which is the age you can take them normally at, I know the side effects read horribly and this is what stopped me taking Cit for 3 months, and all that happened was I had 3 long months of suffering eventually I took the cit and nothing awful happened, I am not sure I really had much side effects as I was already suffering most of these anyway, but boy am I glad I started the CIT I am back to normal now, and never want to fell so bad again. Cit is my saviour, my friend has taken CIT since ihe was 15 yrs so its down to your docto really to see  if he thinks it will do you good, I did lose a lot of weight at the beginning but that was I took so long to take my CIT, after a few weeks my appetite was back, big time for a bit, couldnt stop eating, that has leveled out now, so dont worry about the weight, but try to eat little and often if you can.

Take care and keep in touch and join us over on Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? as a lot more folk on there to help and at all different stages of taking cit, so lots of support too,

Take care big hugs you will be well again Hunny.

Anne smile

• Posted

Hi, my daughter is on week 16 of citalopram , started on 10mg, hardly any side effects, apart from slight drunk feeling for first few days. Upped to 20mg 6 weeks ago as she didnt feel 10mg were helping. Up till last week side effects were quite bad, felt worse than she did, unable to sleep, vivid nightmares, but now seems to be coming out the other side. So hopefully the next feweeeks we will see changes for the better!

no weight loss, which is good as  she is undeweight anyway. She has eaten more over past few weeks and has a 4 pound weight gain x

• Posted

Hi Wicked99 so glad she is doing well, and has persevered as it can be so hard, but she has you supporting her which is great, she will get better weekly and soon be back to normal and happy, 

Take care and stay strong with her.

Anne smile

• Posted

Hi, I'm 18 and started taking cit in march. The side effects are tough the first few weeks (they were for me anyway!) I felt like a zombie always sleeping and hardly any energy, that was on 10mg. I'm now on 20mg and have been for a month. I'm feeling better and haven't had much anxiety and bad thoughts up until the past week - where I've had a few panic attacks over tiny tiny things. One thing you may get as a side effect is sweating excessively at night. I get this and also from reading other discussions on here its clear that most people suffer from this too. The side effects aren't so bad eventualy. Also you may feel like you want to stop taking the tablets as most people, like myself, felt the same as it can influence your depression to begin with. I spoke to my doctor and she said this was normal as the cit is changing your biochemicals in your brain, so do not worry if this happens and fight through it.

I really hope they work for you.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.