worried about TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm worried that when I have my TKR that I will have the problems most of you are having.

I'm usually good after operations. I had my gall bladder and stones removed recently by keyhole surgery and was ok by the second week. I also had hysterectomy and was home after 5 days looking after 3 kids.

My op was sposed to be Thursday 16th October but has been cancelled. No date as yet. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi christine -- oh god, i am so glad i didn't read any of the posts on here before my operation.  honestly, i would have ran (well, ok, hobbled!!) a mile!!  sometimes it is just too much information, don't you think? but, i took it too far the other way, and went into it blindly and so the whole proceedure was a HUGE shock.  with hindsight being 20/20, i think i should have prepared myself better.

i would have to agree with oldfatguy, the operations you mention above cannot compare to the tkr.  but like anything, you will get through it and each day it gets better.  by the sounds of things, you have been through a lot with your moped accident and your motivation is clear: get your knee well again.  i don't want to sugar coat it for you: you will have difficult times but what, how and when is different from knee to knee.  to a certain degree you have to take it as it comes.  

my second knee is also in a poor state and initially i had thought i would have my second one done in six months time.  now, i will be discussing different options with my surgeon.  lessons learnt from my first operation: try and make the poorly knee as healthy as possible, i.e. make sure your bend and stretch is as good as possible prior to the operation, either by having pre-op physio or whatever the doc recommends.  don't put yourself under any time pressure to get better, know it takes the time it takes.  so don't plan on going on any trips, attending any major events or setting a date for going back to work (like me, after 3 weeks!). this is super stressful.  make sure you get physio, massages (lymph) and anything anything else you feel is going to help you get better and make yourself do your excercises.  every day.  and last but not least, as you have read all the posts on here, make a list of all the hints and tips we have all be exchanging so that when you recognize a symptom, you will know what to do!

good luck.

• Posted

Sounds like my experience with hip replacement, I didn't check these blogs, didn't know they existed....talked to 3-4 people who had the anterior replacement and coincidentally used my same surgeon and they reported on their good outcomes.....Mine was FAR from that....

I don't know what I would have done if I had read all the horror stories on the hip replacement blogs.maybe it's a good thing I didn't.....too confusing and too much info as you say. I went in blindly too, reading only about the surgeon and the surgry procedure..... Now, I'm doing ALL can never cut my body again. It's been a very hard 4 yrs....for me.

• Posted

i hear you joy. the last 2-3 years have been really tough for me to. unrelated to my health but of course affecting my health and as we both know, this makes the healing after the operation all the harder. but it is what it is and we just have to get on with it. i don't know about you, but having the surgery has made me revisit with all kinds of situations in my life which i am going to change / tweak. no. 1 priority: stop my independent beauty business and go back to the office full-time. so that i have full insurance coverage. i never in a million years thought that something as "mundane" as an operation would make me do this. but i am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason". priority 2: spend more time with my real friends on with the hangers on who never bothered to write/call/visit when i could have really have done with a shoulder to lean on.

interesting reference to prolotherapy. never heard of it so immediately had to google it! since i have joined this blog i have written down so many terms and questions for my surgeon. he is going to hate me when i start bombarding him with them! similarly to yourself, am not keen on being cut again.

• Posted

After arthroscopy following twisting my knee and suspecting a torn meniscus I was told I needed TKR what a shock that came as ! 

I am 62 years of age 13st 8 lbs ( don't do all that modern metric stuff sorry ) I cycle around 100 miles a week, can run up the stairs no problem apart from a bit of a stinging sensation on thre outer part of my knee just aware of it more than painful 

The surgeon gave the knee a rating of 3 whatever that means ?

So to surgery or not, I am of a mind that why go through major surgery with all the possible implications of good/bad outcomes when I am mobile and in little pain if any at all?

The great unknown to me is the speed at which it may deteriorate, weeks months years I have no idea?

I am sole carer for my disabled Mother so surgery would impact on us both 

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss if to proceed or not 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.