Worried and scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello it's me again. I am now almost 8 weeks post op with my TKR. The knee seems to be progressing slowly but i am very depressed. The first thing i think of when i wake up is staph and strep and any bacteria that could get into the new knee. I think about that all day and go to bed thinkinbg about it. I cry and worry myself sick about this. In tha past few years i'v had a few ITU's. I have four cats

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry my text went off too quick. As i was saying..have four cats and a dog that i sare not touch any more worrying about this infection thing and i live in the coutry in the south west of France. I feel like i'm losing my mind over this....please help

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there, oh you sound very down. Why are you thinking about infection? Is your scar not healed? I'm not a surgeon but I wouldn't think you could get an infection through anything other than an open wound/scar. You should be thinking that the worst is over and that there's a light over the horizon. I'm 6 weeks now and every day give thanks that I'm not stuck in the doldrums of my post 3 weeks that were horrendous. Are you worrying about anything else?

Is everything going well with the other aspects of recovery?

Take care, things will get better xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks po and my incision has been healed for awhile now. I have a cat and a dog. Earlier on I washed my hands often after petting them. This surgery can make you depressed. I found this forum to be such a relief. I agree with Lucie. You have to have an open wound to get an infection. Does your dr no how you are feeling? If you have family or friends get with them to take your mind off your fear. I'm sure you will receive lots of encouragement from people on here. Take care and keep us posted.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Linlee, Lucie. Thankyou for your replies. My wound is closed and healed. It's just that people have told me scarey stories and even my gp who i told my fears to said that anyone could get a staph or strep..;He told me if i fell in my garden i could cut myslf and get a staph. He told me of a man who separated two dogs, got bit and got a terrible staph infection. I feel like a walking time bomb. Sorry i know i sound stupid
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You can drive yourself crazy with your thoughts. Like the others said your wound is healed. Try to ignore the people that are putting those thoughts in your head. As long as you are keeping yourself and your incison sanitary there should be no cause for worry.

Try to watch a movie or play a game or sit in the garden or whatever you can do to take your mind off of it and make you happy. You need some kind of relief. You will heal quicker if you are feeling happier.

Wishing you all the best. 🌺

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

People just need to keep their horror stories to themselves. I know I have heard my share. I think your dr was trying to tell you to relax. Don't worry about something that hasn't happen. If we lived our lives on what ifs we'd all be a mess. You have just been through a major operation and it sounds like you are physically doing well. Focus on that...you need to occupy yourself somehow. Find something you like to do and focus on that. Take care and try to remain positive. ...
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi l read your post and had to reply straight away. I had a bad fall on gravel Tarmac surface 3 weeks ago l was 16 wks post op and a massive haematoma came up the size of a small orange. I had to go to hospital twice to keep an eye and have X-ray, l have 3 dogs and there was no infection as a result, so please stop worrying enjoy your pets and recover as best you can God only knows getting over this surgery is bad enough. Take care
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi again,  hope your minds been put at rest a bit??  I wonder why your doctor said that you could catch staph etc?   Just  listen to a wise lady!!  I've been on this earth over 6 decades and never once caught staph or strep!!!   Stop worrying love, and enjoy your pets and look forward to your recovery. Knee surgery is a very slow recovery, I'm 6 weeks now, and I'm just having to be patient.  
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't know hhow to reply to everyone at once here but this is for all of your kind answers...made me want to cry. You are all right and i need to occupy myself. My husband is retired and we are having a new hiuse built......We have 5 grown children and a new 9th grnadchild....although they don't all live near , i have a lot to be grateful for. I suppose not being independant is weighing on me and i have too much time to think. I will take your advice and try to pull myself together. I have no choice now anyway because the op is done and i need the other knee done too.......<3>
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Me too! Other knee done. Not til next yr though. At least we know what to expect this time! Enjoy your family. Your grandchildren. Your kids. And your retired husband. You do have alot to be thankful for. You are blessed. ♡♡♡
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm two yrs post TKR I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. My knee still gets big and heated. I'm tested every two mths for infections. I don't have any. I can't barely put weight on it and still can't walk right

I'm not telling u this to scare u but to let u know that I can understand how u feel. I have developed severe anxiety no depression just anxious and frustrated. First thing u need to do is tell ur Dr. There are great meds that will help without knocking u into a super. U r not alone not on this forum lots of great peeps and experiences. Get ur mind off that train of thought any way you can. I'm here if u need me. We all r 😊

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good for you😀 Yes you have a wonderful family to be thankful for and a new house to build. How exciting.

I am almost 6 months TKR and I have my next one planned for September. Not looking forward to it but I just want it to be done and over with. One day at a time. We can do it. 🌻

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I've got 5 dogs all of whom reach about knee height when they stand on their hind-legs. I am on 2nd TKR I have not had an infection and at no point have I been at all concerned about catching infections from my animals. And trust me they jump all over me!  When I still had my clips in my dogs would even try and lick my knee in an attempt to heal me no doubt. I have never not had my dogs around me and I did not go in for any extra hand-washing beyond post bathroom, or handling food.

​My wound is healed over and I think the chances of infection are remote. If you want to put into perspective the "bad things could happen" fear, well you would never go out the front door! If you travel in a car what could happen? Cross the road? So on and so on. My guess is as others have said that you are a bit down anyway and it is manifesting itself as worry over infection. Honestly i think you are doing yourself much more harm with worrying. Not that I don't sympathise. I know it is hard once you get into that state of mind. I hope you can exhale and accept that none of us could function if we really worried about all the "what ifs?" in life. Turn that frown into a smile, you are getting well and you've got some nice pussy cats and a dog who love you to keep you company while you do.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up