Worried and waiting

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 17, I was taken to hospital with sharp pain in my left side, and was told it was likely I had an ovarian cyst, they sent me home and told me to see my doctor which I am tomorrow to organise a scan. I also feel sickly when I attempt food and very light headed. Worried at how serious this is? Read it could affect my fertility etc, need some reassurance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethany98258, I am surprised they didnt give you a scan at the hospital! is there any chance you could be pregnant? could also be ectopic pregnancy. I had an ovarian cyst which measured 4.2cm x 5.2cm - GP said small and should be causing me any problem - clearly She had never had one I was in constant pain from morning to night for approx 5 months then all of a sudden the pain went I Had a follow up scan and the cyst had gone on its own. If there is a possibility you may be pregnant you need to tell your GP as if it is ectopic it can be quite serious, you may have to wait a few weeks for a scan. Good luck. smile
  • Posted

They gave me a urine test and as I knew I was not pregnant and also felt my stomach, they said from where the pain was they believed it would be an ovarian cyst and I also had no symptoms of ectopic pregnancy, thanks smile
  • Posted

Try not to worry too much - ovarian cysts are very common and most disappear within a couple of months, most people dont even realise they have one. An Ultrasound scan will be the only way to tell, ask your GP to request this. Dont let your GP make you feel like you are making a fuss or wasting their time, I had a lot of this with my cysts. Maybe take an older relative or friend with you. (17 is so young - wish I was 17 again) smile
  • Posted

Yeah will be taking my Mum, don't want to be waiting around for a scan due to being young and not taken seriously, hopefully will just go away it self, fingers crossed, thanks for advice smile
  • Posted

Hi I can reassure you about fertility with my experience.

I had an ovarian cyst. It was about 8cm/10cm & was wrapped round my right ovary. I had no symptoms but had it removed together with right ovary & tube. I discovered that you only need one ovary to conceive & it does not affect your chances of conceiving at all. Apparently, like kidneys, we only need one!

I do already have children so do not want more but everyone was certain that as I have a healthy left ovary I would have no trouble having more kids should I wish.

Thought that may put your mind at rest for the future. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you definitely reassured me smile
  • Posted

After seeing the doctor,I had my blood pressure, temperature, heart rate and stomach felt again, she said my stomach felt soft and if pain continues to come back in a week. The pain is not unbearable in my left side but the nausea is making me unable to eat and generally feel awful, any advice on what to do?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.