Worried I am lifting my Shoulder 9 days post op?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my rotator cuff repair on 12th June. Very pleased as I was expecting a patch

Saw Physio yesterday just for wound check. I am just doing a few basic hand and lower arm exercises neck etc

I am finding getting in and out of the sling very difficult Going to buy anew one getting dressed is a nightmare for me

My problem is that I had failed surgery 15 months ago Rather the surgeon was unable to repair it at that time

My main worry just now when trying to use only my left arm I find I am tensing the repaired Shoulder and maybe raising it .Any idea how I can avoid this or is it harmful

Can I use the fingers on that hand when the sling is in place

I feel this is my last chance I live alone Any advice would be appreciated Sue

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Relax. One thing at a time. Clothes wear comfy loose clthes. I chose srub pants, sleeves cotton tops, fleece zip up jackets. I did not wear a bra for a few weeks or only when going to PT, Dr etc. Same with panties. It was too much trying to get in/out of bra and panties along with everything else.

Bras ended up inxpensive cotton sport bras that could be cut off if I got stuck. 3 bras for $10 I believe.

You are only 10 day or so out. Do not rush anything

Fingers yes but do not carry or pull with those fingers.

Standy sitting remember your posture let the shoulders drop pinch the shoulder be blades together.

Remember to ice!

You'll be ok!

• Posted

I agree with Henpen on what to wear.  Plus I seriously doubt you could re tear your cuff just by tensing up or even raising it up.  It would be something a lot more violent to do that.   As a rule, using your fingers is okay.  My doctor gave me hand and wrist exercises to keep things moving.   I did it with the sling on and off.  

I know how you feel.  I am on my last chance too.  Taking it super easy and being very cautious.  

Wear loose fitting clothing, I stayed in my pajamas for days after.  I only wore a bra when going out and even that was a built in camisole.  Whatever is easy for you and comfortable.  Don't worry about what anyone thinks.  You have to take care of yourself.   

Relax.  Sounds like you are doing fine.  Those first few weeks are tough.

• Posted

This person‘s surgery was June 12 that’s 10 days ago. Lifting the arm above the head or moving it at all after this surgery is completely against what most doctors tell you to do. 

• Posted

She hasn't been lifting her surgery arm over her head, only her non surgical arm. Her concern is that lifting her non surgical arm over her head might injure her surgical shoulder.

• Posted

Ha. Forget about a bra. I wore one to physical therapy which in week 2 was hard. I purchased a great front hooking bra off of Amazon. In week 3, I could barely hook the top one but by week 4 I was so proud of myself for being able to hook the whole thing up! 
    • Posted

arj....Me too but then I'm a child of the '60's so wearing a bra is not that important, especially around the house.  haha   I bought camisoles with build in bras, then I just stepped into them,  pulled it up and put an open shirt over.  We do have to celebrate the little things.  I'm so happy I can now put my hand on the top of the car steering wheel or reach over to change the radio.  

• Posted

You should not be removing the sling, immobilizer for six weeks. You need to have somebody else help you dress. I don’t know why your physician didn’t tell you this. You should not be moving your repaired rotator arm at all. Your hand only and very minimally you need to let it heal. I don’t understand why more orthopedic surgeons don’t tell their patients this. They keep repairing it and ruining the surgery. Please google rotator cuff surgery healing and you’ll find you should be in an immobilizer 24 hours a day seven days a week, for six weeks. Only taking it off to have someone else wash you and help you change your clothes. 
  • Posted

I am not lifting my arm in any way . I am only taking my arm out of the sling very gingerly to wash and dress. Plus to do the very gentle lower arm and hand exercises I have to do.I sit at my dining table so my arm is supported

Keep my arm close to my body at all times.

I live alone so don't have anyone to help. I did buy suitable clothing BUT I am still finding it difficult with the sling. I have taken to stepping into the belt part then put my arm in the cradle fasten velcro and then put the Shoulder part over my head. I have looked on you tube and see a sling that seems easier to get in and out of and going to order it tomorrow.

Thank you all very much for all your advice. I am sleeping sitting up at night and managing pretty well Pain wise I am coping quite well considering it is just day 9-10 Was at hospital yesterday just wounds check and seen by physio Seeing surgeon and shoulder Physio on 4th July

I am just very tired as all of you will know from experience Thanks Sue

• Posted

I live alone too. It's doable! I had the surgery then a revision with 5 months. Slow and steady. I put my head through the sling first. Adjusted the cushion than swung my hips to swing the lower belt around my waist torso. Worked like a charm. Independence is fine just think through it.

Also look up rotator cuff repair and rehab at Brigham women's hospital Harvard University. GREAT article complete with photos of exercises.

• Posted

Oh arm in cradle first then head then swing hips to get belt around torso lol crazy but it works. You'll figure out what works for you!!

• Posted

ha ha   I was just going to say that.   I would stand there swinging and twisting around to throw that belt around  to where I could reach it.   It worked.   Have to make things work.   

• Posted

I have got a cleaner coming in two of them Also got a mobile hairdresser coming Monday and Friday to do my hair

My enemy is the sling Have tried to be as organised with meals prepared in freezer etc Thanks again

• Posted

WOW good for you.   I had a housekeeper just come in twice, about 3 weeks apart.  I could keep up on small tasks but the deep cleaning was impossible.   Never thought about a hairdresser.  I got my hair cut shorter just before surgery and  just shampooed and let it dry.   At least it was clean LOL    Showers and dressing WILL get easier.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.