Worried I have a brain tumour

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 17 year old and on Sunday, I had the worst headache I've ever had. It lasted from about half three till late at night and I couldn't stop vomiting. (I had previously had a bad head like this the previous Wednesday when I started my period). Anyway, I went to the ER and I had tests done, I was sent to Paediatrics ward because of how much I was vomiting. My blood pressure was slightly high but then went down when I relaxed. I had no aura or dizzy feelings. My sight was also fine but they did some eye tests and found that my right pupil (the side my head was hurting) was slightly dilated but reacting well to light. I responded well to all tests apart from my eye. I went back the day after and had the same problem with my eye, my head wasn't as near as bad. It keeps getting better in fact. I went back today and I have to see an eye doctor tomorrow to check what's wrong with my pupil and if there is pressure, I have to have a brain scan. 

IM SO SCARED. I'm so so scared and I don't know how to cope.       

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Pressure on the eye can cause glaucoma, you can find more details about that on this site:

https://patient.info/health/chronic-open-angle-glaucoma

Brain scans are normal precedure, this would be an MRI scan - I've had many of them done over years from brain to full body scans. Please do not read everything you see on the internet, you can easily be misled into having something that you haven't. By the way, my MRI scan has always been clear, and I'm 50 - I have a very rare nerve condition called Generalized Dystonia, basically I can't do anything on my own, and have to take in excess of 140+ tablets per week.

You're are really quite young, I would stop worrying about what you think you may have, and causing depression until you have seen the results first.

Feel free to come back, we are a friendly bunch of people with various ailments, whom help people by informing them what we have gone through.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I've had the test done today. I've had my eyes dilated and they said that my eyes seem normal. My left eye better than my right eye which was obviously the eye I had the headache with. So they think I'm all clear. I sill can't stop worrying though. 
    • Posted

Hi,

Have you ever had Migraines before? They are like headaches but make you feel really ill, usually you can not even look at a light, these can be caused by sight problems. Did they do the vision test with the red light, whereby you click a button everytime you it? This test is normally done in a different room so you do not get distracted.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I think you should wait for the scan result. Your symptos could be caused by other things too. Yuo don't need to assume the worst. Also, lately seems like cancer is not necessarly a deeth sentence. Many time is like a chronic illness. I know you are very young, bit all we have is today. None of us know what is going to happen tomorrow. Helpful approach is: "Whatever ist is I will try to beat it." It happened before that people even from cancer were being helaed. don;t ever give up! If worst case scenario is teh result. Talk with a therapist who can help you through, bbit fisrt wait for the result. Take care of yourself. Try to medidate, and relax.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.