Worried sick for smear results

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I had bleeding one day before I had my smear test which I thought was due to the scratching(caused by itch).then I went for smear test and when I came back..I had slight bleeding which I cried alot over thinking I have cancer and stuff after which my husband convinced me than that was my menses cause I have regular menses Wichita comes by at least 3 weeks..and I'm actually due for my menses but I wasn't really aware of it..now I'm sure I'm having my menses(I hope I'm right).I read somewhere than menses can cause abnormal smear results so I'm just worried if my results will come out as abnormal. .I'm worried..my grandmother had cervical cancer and I just don't wanna have it cause me and hubby seriously wants another baby and I'm only 23..helps..all I had was discharge which accomplish with itch and sometimes sore for on and off for 6 months..no pain or bleeding..no problems with sex and urinating too..

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry for your stress. Don't get yourself worked up. If you are due for your period the spotting is that. I have spotted and had discharge because and it was my Hp levels in my vagina. Stressing only makes everything seem worse because you cannot reason. I think you have an infection or its your hormones or your Hp is high.

I know what ever anyone says won't help I'm queen of anxiety. I stress about my daughter having a smear test. But you need to keep busy. Ring your doctor tomorrow afternoon and explain to him or her of you anxiety and if you can get the results earlier. Keep calm sending hugs. Let me know how you go. Xxxx

• Posted

Thanks alot for your comment..I really appreciate it..I'm just really worried due to the discharge..it's just white or colourless..can be yellow when dried and it's just itchy and sore sometimes and it's been 6 months now and it's scary
    • Posted

sorry hun just read the other post you put up,have u had swabs dun to check for infection or thrush xxx
    • Posted

I went to check for those things and my doc says he just might as well do the smear for me..they can know if it's a bacterial infection or anything from the test..but he took a look and he said looks more like an infection and he said no lumps so that's good news..he prescribed some antI fungal cream for it..but since I have my menses now I can't really use it..
    • Posted

im sure you will be fine hun,i had pre cancer cells caught just in time thankgod,it sounds to me like you have got some kinda infection,obvz im not a doc but the symptoms you are saying sounds like it,or maybe thrush xxx
    • Posted

Ya I thought so too..but I just can't help but to think of the worst..to tell you the truth now I have menses but somewhere inside my head I'm thinking what if it's bleeding and not menses..it's just really crazy..the doc told me he will let me know the results in 2-3 days time..now has been the 2nd day and they haven't got back yet..
    • Posted

give them a call hun see if your results are back,let us know how you get on xxx
  • Posted

hey hun,try not to worry to much,easier said than done i know,i went through kinda the same as you so i know how worrrying it can be,and trust me it dont help at all just makes u feel realy ill xxxx
  • Posted

I fully understand your fears - I went for a long-overdue smear test (always very sore at point of contact with the "scraper" thingy). I forgot I was within a few days of expected period (at 51 things are just starting to become a little irregular). The nurse actually showed me the little container with my sample in it and it was pink. She said everything looked healthy, but it was clear that my period was starting and the smear had helped trigger it. She was pretty sure the sample would be rejected so she was in two minds about sending it off. Then she decided to anyway, but told me not to worry when I got a re-call notice as blood in the sample often leads to inconclusive results.

However, I actually got the letter exactly a week later and it stated everything was fine and I'm not due another test for 5 years (as I am over 50).

If you do get a re-call letter please don't panic - it is standard procedure when a smear and period coincide. I guess I was lucky as my period hadn't quite started so they must have had enough of the right cells. In my 20's I had an "abnormal" smear and panicked - but it was just that not enough cervix cells had been collected. A few weeks later the next smear was all clear. They do recommend you only have smears mid-cycle, to negate the risk of cross-contamination with blood cells.

As for your other issue, it does sound a bit like thrush (my first bout was caused by wearing new undies - my doctor recommended always washing new knickers to remove any chemicals that might cause irritation to such a delicate area). I then found that using antibiotics for such things as sinusitis would often trigger thrush as they upset the natural healthy balance of good bacteria. I know it's an itch that can't be ignored, but the "itch scratch itch" cycle is true.

When troubled by thrush I use a Canestan product - cream, pessary, and / or oral tablet. Hope this helps. Please try not to worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.