Worrying about heart problems constantly...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 41 year old female that has been experiencing anxiety/health anxiety most of my life, but has gotten worse within the past 10 years. I started experiencing new "symptoms" about a month and a half ago. My anxiety got worse the beginning of May, and since then I have experienced tingling in my scalp and face, digestive issues that alternate between the left and right side of my upper abdomen (mainly left), this leads to pressure (sometimes burning pressure, not the same as heart burn pain) in the middle of my chest...sometimes leaning more towards the left, aching off and on in my left shoulder and elbow, pressure in my head (mainly sinus area), tension headaches (mainly across my brow area), neck pain on both sides (back of my head is usually tender when pressed/massaged).

Most of these have been more prominent since Friday. Which has me googling (I know, I know) and worried more and more about heart problems & even high BP. A few months back I was in the ER for a separate issue and had my heart and BP monitored, BP was within normal range and they said my heart rate was "slightly elevated" but not cause for concern bc it was more than likely due to my anxiety.  I don't believe it ever even went over 100, it was in the 90's.

I've had health anxiety for years and it's never affected me this badly. It's a constant worry from the minute I wake up in the morning until I go to bed at night. I'll be feeling fine, then focus on the fact that I haven't had any pain/ache yet and then, it starts. I'm not sure if this IS just my health anxiety or more at this point. Any insight from people who also suffer from this would be very appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

you have the same symptom i do.

any little thing and your mind says it bad and no one can tell you different.

with most health anxiety sufferers we tend to focus on the thing that scares us most with me its cancer of my colon( which i have never had). with you from what i read its your heart. i get the tingling in my face and scalp aswell which is a common anxiety symptom , i think its to with breathing to much during anxiety. do you take any medication for your health anxiety?

• Posted

I do not take anything for my health anxiety. sad To be honest, it wasn't as bad as it's currently gotten and like I said, these main symptoms didn't present until Friday. Before that, I chalked most of what I was feeling up to stress but when it started involving my chest and my left arm, that is when I began to worry the most and everything has magnified since. ANY thing my mind tells me is automatically 1000 times worse.

• Posted

Sounds very much like stress related? I know personally how hard it can be, what ever you do don't let the GP tell you you've got acid reflux, GERD, and put you on PPI's, it took me 3 years to find out it was that sending my anxiety through the roof. Adrenaline, and nandreline surges are what your feeling, flight or fight. And a message for all those who are scared of cancer! Don't be it's nothing I was diagnosed 2 years ago, biopsys operations, still here, I'd rather be on an operation table now with the surgeon waving his scalpel around and awake!!!!  Local anaesthetic, than sitting here loosing my mind day after day. 

• Posted

I've actually been on PPI's for years bc that's what the Dr told me I had years ago (acid reflux). I take a prilosec daily and if I don't have that, zantac. I have, however, since my stomach issues started this week stopped taking them within the past couple of days.

Glad to hear that you're still here and you're right, it's much better to know than to wonder. My stepfather was diagnosed last year after waiting months for answers. The waiting and wondering is the worst part.

• Posted

Nothing worse

Heath anxiety drives me mad I went to A+ E this moring I had stomach pains that were going into my chest so went to get a ECG just to put my mind at rest

I can't give any advise on this to be honest

iv had it for yrs and im no better after all my treatments just have to live with it the best I can

• Posted

wow...it was like I wrote this post myself...i have sever health anxiety thay causes symptoms from the minute i wake up until the minute i go to sleep...i am a 40 year old female and the past 3 years have been horrible...last week it was a pain in my right calf ...ran to the doctor thinking a blood clot...doctor reluctantly did an ultrasound...everything normal..beem to emergency countless times...currently have had a back of the head headache for a week...really getting me down..ive been on Effexor for 10 yrs...worked really well except for the past 10 years...i wish I could tell you how to stop this...but I'm struggling myself big time...

• Posted

Isn’t it weird when I read all these  posts ,like yours ,I think yes definitely caused by anxiety yet we can never think this about ourselves .Everything you have described I have suffered and I do think is anxiety related .If I for 10 minutes feel ok thinking omg I’m fine I guarantee BANG some other pain ,ache starts so when o have this 10 minutes I Dare not think great because I feel I’ve tempted fate .What a life we are all having ☹️
  • Posted

Hi Carrie. My mother has suffered from my of this things you have listed. She has always had health anxiety and general anxiety about a wide variety of things. She recented was introduced to essential oils by my wife to help reduce her anxious feels and take a more natural approach to try and help reduce these issues. She has stated to me she hasnt felt this good in years. She has reduced her anxious feelings and is feeling better overall. If you would be interested in more about what my mother is doing please feel free to message me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.