Worrying over gallstones and gallbladder removal.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have posted on this site over my gallstones and gallbladder removal. As my op draws closer (6th August)

Im still fretting and being a big wimp over the fact that i wont wake up after being put to sleep and worrying about things such as what if they nip any of my other organs, serious complications becoming involved...

Is still normal for me to be fretting so much over what the doctors say is 'minor surgery?' 

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi people fret over the dentist .... 

Or flying in a plane.

You are having to trust a surgeon and his team. That's not being in control.

just except you are a worrier. And like me you always imagine the worst. But your logical side knows this operation is a day surgery it's a straight forward operation. Your fear of not waking up is just fear. They give very light short lived anaesthetics for day surgery so you come round quickly and can go home. Within hours.easily brought round. If it was a risky operation you would be kept in over night. 

Worse case scenario there is a complication in surgery and they have a little extra to do. Your asleep..you won't be aware of it that's there problem..... They may then keep you in overnight to check your ok and your home the next day .....  You wait once it's done you'll be saying it was a breeze... ( I burst into tears when they came to my room to take me down for surgery I was so scared) 3 hours later I was drinking mint tea and saying it was a breeze.and having a joke with the nurses .. Nerves are a curse ... Believe me it was worth having it done .. Nerves and anxiety come and go. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sally, read your reply to the person concerned, I have been diagnosed with gallstones a few months ago, but I think I have had them for years and they did not pick it up, the hospitals are messing me about with long waits for appointment times and not even seen the surgeon yet, let along had the date for op, just had an MRI to see if blockage etc, I am very scared as I have other problems, nerves problems and also IBS and fibromyalgia and I have allot of pain on back and sides.  I have read allot of peoples notes saying they have allot of pain after op and stomach problems and also scared to death of operation, I am 59 and never had any ops before and only been in hospital 12 years ago for the same thing which I said they did not pick up, but they found it this time, did you have yours long before they did the operation. Stella
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Stella 

I had symptoms for 15 years before my gp twigged what was wrong. I was told I had gastritus and ulcers. I had a very nervous stomach . If I am nervous feel sick instantly. So therefore the constant waves of nausea and the milder attacks of vomiting were diagnosed as nerves. The massive colic attacks which I had roughly once a year were diagnosed as food poisoning or a tummy bug . And my rolling around on the floor almost fainting with pain was propberly viewed as ott. 

I managed mine by diet without knowing it my brain got a phobia of meat and fat . So my symptoms were bearable. But once diagnosed with a gallbladder packed with gallstones all my symptoms made sense. Since removal in February . I am a different person. My symptoms were not nerves they were gall stones. I didn't realise how nauseous I was always feeling. Now I can eat fruit salad etc acidic foods no heartburn. I can eat food meat etc no sickness no intigestion. I am calmer and have more energy. 

The operation is safe but most of all it's cures the problem. People who have side effects after have other things wrong that the operation doesn't solve. But for me I have no acidic stomach problems now. My bile is dripping into my tummy at the right rate now . My stomach feels healed of gastritus and ulcers. 

You will feel a new women. Yes an operation is scary especially for us anxious control freaks !!! Lol 

we hate the thought of being unconscious and not in control!!!!! 

But I wish I had been diagnosed 15 years ago.... I am 50. 

Hope all goes well Sally 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sally thanks for your kind words and advice, I just wish the hospital would get a move on, not even got appointment with consultant surgeon yet, did you have pains on other parts of your body with the gallstones, I have fibromyalgia and IBS and the pains on back and shoulders I feel are allot worse, whether its the worrying I am doing as I am nervous of allot of things, I don't know, anyway thanks Stella
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had begun to feel like something major was wrong with me I was often tired , nauseous , and I felt like I had a mouse gnawing under my right rib. Yes I did have neck pain and just generally not good. I came out of anaethetic came home same day woke up next morning and cried because I felt so much better ... Then the gas they inflate you with gives you aches and pains for a couple of days as it works out of you. But I felt such a relief that a rotten bit of me was gone ... smile 

wont be long ... And you will see the difference in yourself ...

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. I just wanted to add some reassurance to your post having had the surgery 3 days ago. Like you I was petrified about the operation before hand, convinced that something would go wrong during the procedure. I trawled the internet looking for reassurances and statistics and kept finding horror stories and people feeling worse after than they did before. So I just wanted to let you know that despite all the fears it was really quick and straight forward but I  am really happy it is all over. I wish you all the best for your surgery.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had my op just over a week ago and like you I was absolutely terrified about the general and wondering if having the op would actually solve the problem or if they would find something truly awful while looking around in there! I had sweaty palms, a dry mouth and probably a bit of a twitch!! But it was fine and all over in the blink of an eye. As far as I know, all my fears were totally unfounded!

Although the "minor surgery" is a bit incorrect. My surgeon said that while it was a routinely performed op that it was still considered major abdominal surgery and was therefore not to be taken lightly.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well my operation got cancelled last minute and it is now next weds so after months of fretting i am now going through the motions for a second time and still petrified that i wont wake up after the op. I know its only a minor op and there are people out there having more serious ops than i am but i still cant help fretting :-( 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up