Worsening episodes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi , I have had ibs symptoms for about 25 years , but only got diagnosed earlier this year( I’m 42)  after blood and stool samples all came back normal , I used to have occasional flare ups but lately these are much more frequent and can last up to 3/4 weeks at a time , I get diarrhoea ( I suffer from a chronic anal tear so take a few prunes daily to stop me getting constipated however lately I seem to have constant diarrhoea - or constipation if I don’t take the prunes !!) , I have also been getting abdo pain which varies from stabbing pain to trapped wind , I am also farting - a lot ( not very lady like lol) , and get heart burn which is new , i seem to get tummy pains from nuts , popcorn , raw onion , sweet corn, pie crusts  and tomatoes ?? I seem to have these episodes for 2/4 weeks , have a couple of weeks of being ok and then they are back , it’s getting me down , I am very stressed with personal things at the moment and my health anxiety is bad so can’t stop stressing it’s cancer not ibs , do these symptoms sound typical of ibs ?? Or shall I go back to drs and risk being labelled a hypochondriac lol, thank you 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi crazy mummy, you need to and have every right to go back to your doctors because your symptoms have altered and that's when the doctors want to see you the most. Explain your differences to your doctor and see what they say. Tell us how you get on.

• Posted

1. Consult a good gastroenterologist about your symptoms, and ask for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Only then can they diagnose you with "IBS".

2. The timing of your pattern seems to be related to your menstrual cycle (feeling okay for two weeks, and not well for the next two). Make sure you get your hormones checked. More specifically your estrogen and progesterone. You would be amazed to see the role these two play in IBS symptoms, especially at your age. My digestion worsened when I hit 36, and slightly improved when I started using progesterone cream. Nearly every woman becomes deficient in that hormone from the age of 35. It keeps decreasing until menopause, hence why so many menopausal women suffer from constipation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.