Worst Couple Months of My Life

Posted , 3 users are following.

Roughly 10 weeks ago I had sex with a prostitute near Los Angeles. Her HIV/STD status is unknown, and I used a condom. To the best of my knowledge the condom was intact the whole time. I was not drunk or high, and I've been told condom failure is noticeable. I'm very nervous.

I was dating someone else at the time, and the relationship has become much more serious since the potential exposure. I'm scared to death of infecting her. We've had sex since the exposure, but once I thought about HIV I stopped. We haven't had sex in roughly 6 weeks.

I never thought HIV was a possibility, but exactly 2 weeks after the sexual exposure I came down with a stomach bug that put me on my butt. Stomach pain, diarrhea, and I was lethargic for like 2 weeks with no appetite. I didn't experience any sort of rash, or swollen lymph nodes, but once I googled what could be making me sick, I became horrified and fainted.

Since my potential exposure I took 3 HIV tests...

3rd Generation Antibody Test - Negative (54 Days)

HIV-1 RNA Test - Negative (59 Days)

3rd Generation Antibody Test - Negative (60 Days)

My local clinic told me my Antibody tests are 97%-98% accurate at this stage.

One clinic said my RNA test was over 99% accurate at 59 Days and conclusive.

Another said my RNA test was taken too late to be truly effective, because my viral load would be too low to be detected.

I'm honestly so confused. Technically my last negative test was at 8.5 weeks. Today I'm at 10 weeks, and I'm concerned that I should test again. My doctor told me to go every few weeks until I hit 6 months. He has ZERO experience with HIV. I honestly can't take the anxiety.

I feel like testing NEGATIVE for the RNA and Antibody tests and 1 day apart should be conclusive. No antibody... No virus... Not conclusive? 

My doctor has given me very little support. Should I have a legitimate fear of testing positive?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you know that when you're initially infected with HIV, a person will have an incredibly high viral load of HIV measured in their blood?.

You have stressed yourself out so much you have made yourself ill!.

It's incredibly difficult to acquire HIV from a woman unless of course she didn't know her status... She would have to have a very high viral load of HIV. Many sex worker's always use condoms and undergo regular testing for all infections.

HIV is a manageable virus nowadays. Did you know that diabetes isn't?!..

Any person who is sexually active or has been active should be tested.

• Posted

I have to agree with Katie43849..You're projecting your retrospective guilt over the prostitute like crazy..If I were you I'd breathe a big sigh of relief, give yourself a coupla slaps for being an unfaithful idiot, stay away from sex-workers and learn the important lesson.. DON'T CHEAT...Maybe you should be trying to think of an excuse to put to your girlfriend for neglecting her for so long rather than being inconsiderate and beating yourself up...deserved though it is. 
  • Posted

I honestly NEVER thought about HIV. When I thought about it affecting me and affecting her it literally might have been the worst day of my life. I understand that a one-time fling that "didn't mean anything" could mean EVERYTHING to my life and hers if I wasn't more safe. My girlfriend knows I'm having a hard time. I started going to therapy a few weeks ago and I told her I'm just working some stuff out. She's been so supportive, it honestly makes me feel even more guilty sometime.

Just to be clear... If I was recently infected should my RNA test have detected some sort of Viral Load? Should I be more encouraged?

• Posted

Dude - please give it up now!! Therapy sessions?!?!!! What for?!!!... Blimey!! Get on with the rest of your life dude!! Go and create great moments, live, be happy!!

Don't cheat. Simple!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.