Would a higher dosage give me a better control over pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 62 and have had surgery to release a diagnosed trapped nerve in my groin. This was a wrong diagnosis and consequently now suffer from nerve damage. This resuts in constant tingling and uncomfortable senastion in my left upper leg.In addition, I  also suffer from what appears to be siatica (which was my original complaint,) I am absolutely reluctant to undergo any further surgery. I am currently on 25 mg of Amitriptyline for the past three months and it has helped the tingling sensation, however, I find that I do not get a full days benefit. Would moving the dosage to a higher level, say an extra 10 or 25mg help to cover a full 24 hours. By the way, I am struggling to maintain my original weight by about 3-4 lbs 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi - thanks for your message - interesting to hear about your surgery as one of my options was to open me up again and try and untangle the nerves from the scar tissue - this seemed too risky to me!  I'm only on 20mg and seem to be coping with that.  I would suggest that you need to speak to your GP or consultant to decide if increasing the dose would help - I've been told 20mg or your 25mg is a very low dose - I was shocked when I joined this group what high doses people have to take and for such a long time.  Give them a call and see what they think. Good luck!    

• Posted

Hi Julie, Thanks for your reply. My doctor mentioned it was a low dose and wanted to put me on a higher dosage but we agreed that I would start with 25mg. I do have a pack of 10mg and may add and additional 10mg a day to make it 35mg for a period to see if they might help me to get through the full day. I am just concerned about increased weight gain as I am quite small at 5.2 and already weight 11 stone.
    • Posted

Hi Julie beware of significant weight gain ???

I was continuously hungry & I gained 5 stone yuk.

Jackiei

• Posted

Yes, it probably would. Your doctor would know. That is terrible, to think your getting fixed, and come out worse. Terrible. I don't blame you for not wanting to do any more surgery. I have been on 20mg for 8years, and I have gained probably 30 lbs. Did I mention I like to eat lol. I have heard that there is weight gain, if your not careful. Good luck, hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hello 62 yr old from a 69yr old.

I too had Back Surgery twice because of a trapped nerve + I had Sciatica as well.

I still get exteme pain in my legs & Hips

I get extreme pain but Amitryptaline on its own is not enough, therefore my GP put me on ZOMORPH which is Morphine Based but, it helps more so than Amitryptaline which is more damage to your health as you get older.

My GP was actually thrilled when I informed her I wished to come off Amitryptaline as it is quite a dangerous Drug with terrible side effects as we age.

So, my advise is not to take anymore AMITRYPTALINE & rather speak to your GP

Regards jACKIE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.