Would appreciate FB support information.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle in 3 places in GA on my way back from vacation.  I was brought into an ER where an Otho Dr. tried "setting it".  That felt beyond barbaric.  He put a cast on, gave me a vial of oxycotin and there I layed in the back of my husband's SUV, in a painful trance all the way to Detroit.  Twelve hours later I end up in the ER in Detroit, where the residents on staff again try to "set my ankle".  They claim that it HAD to be done.  The pain was completely insane.  The next day I had surgery and was put in an outter metal frame or fixation, so that the tissue would be better able to handle surgery. The week after, the surgery includes titanium brakets, plates and 15 screws. That was 3/16.  The medications were horrible.  I was halucinating, had paranoia and still felt pain.  I detoxed 2 days after surgery and started doing what I practiced for 20 years ..yogic breathing, visualization, channting and meditation.  It SAVED my life, still does.  The nurses HATED me chanting and kept try to push drugs.  Now that I can take off "the boot" for short periods of time, I EARTH....go out side and put skin to Earth.  There is lots of evidence for the effectiveness of this but trust me, it's amazing done with consistancy and continuity.  I was told I should be able to bear weight May 1. That would be about 6 after surgery.  I'm hopeful and grateful for this discussion.  Peace 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing well now. Sorry you had such a rough time in the beginning. Mine had to be set twice also, so I know that pain.
    • Posted

Right?  I've never had pain like that before even two difficult baby deliveries, put together.   A wise friend of mine commented that you really can aquired "post traumatic stress" from an experience like that.  A lot of my healing has been deep nurturing with music, aromatherapy, nutruitious foods and loving friends.  
    • Posted

I had always thought that natural childbirth was the worst pain ever, until I broke my ankle. I gave birth to 3 babies naturally, give me that any day.

I could see PTSD from an injury like this, makes sense.

Music and aromatherapy are part of my daily routine. I try really hard to eat nutritious food, but every one keeps bringing me these delicious cakes and pies.

• Posted

I broke my ankle on vacation in France, went to ER, got a cast too soon, had to cut it in half due to swelling.  Any who, being on vacation adds more stress and complicatons.  I can also relate on the inability to take pain meds.  The overdosed me on Dilaudid, stopped my respirations.  They do have IV Tylenol, which they refused to give to me.  I'm telling you for the next time.  I didn't think of chanting...I love it...Om Na Mo Bagavate Mooktanya Diya.  I have to have my hardware out soon, maybe I'll try it. That oughta send them over the edge.
    • Posted

Oh my goodness, to have the swelling so bad you had to get your cast cut and overdosed you on Dilaudid?  So sorry and yes being on vacation does make it more traumatic.  All the best with the hardware removal, keep me posted.  My Dr said to not even consider that for a year, given my situation, or he may suggest leaving it in.  It kind of freaked me out to think of leaving it in but with all I've been through not sure that matters anymore.  Ommmmm Shanti friend <3

>

>

• Posted

My goodness. That sounds horrific - you poor thing. I'm no expert on yogic breathing - I do like mindfulness as a coping mechanism though. It's great to experiment beyond the usual conventional restrictions when it comes to managing pain. I wanted to say re pain relief - I too stopped taking anything three days after surgery and four weeks on I've been able to track small bits of progress that have kept me sane and focused on the end in sight. It's not for everyone and one persons pain is completely different to another's. I do feel mentally a lot better though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.