Would this be "anxiety"

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello people, most of you know me by now probably as the guy that's is constantly freaked out about his heart,

But today I had another question out of curiosity. I notice when I am filling a bit unwell "thinking about my echo test and heart fears etc" that I will be shaking my leg and ankle repeatedly back and forth, if I'm not doing that il be biting my nails. Or both at once, my girlfriend hates it and I usually don't notice until she yells at me to get my finger out of my mouth or stop shaking the couch haha. I'm not concerned about it but I was wondering if this is an anxiety symptom? Because I do it when I'm perfectly calm sometimes and just watching a movie

But I also have the flutter heart feeing when I'm perfectly calm so maybe it's built up anxiety trying to find a stress relief? All in theory as I would love to hear your opinions on it

Note: I was ADHD as a child and took large amounts of adderall and when I get off of it I assumed my add is gone as I'm a pretty calm person (not in my mind)

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Heart flutters are caused by anxiety. Even if your not really anxious. They could still happen. Usually heart flutters dont need treatment becausre in most cases its normal. Some people think their heart is beating abnormally when they feel a beat or two in their chest when its actually in normal sinus rhythmn. Its called "cardiac awareness." Skipped beats in the heart are actually normal too and EVERYONE gets them. Many people just dont feel it... and some people are more sensitive to their bodies actions so they feel everything the heart does. If these skipped heart beats occur much more frequently like in runs or you get 20,000 or more a day than thats when docs need to chip in. ESPECIALLY if they get worse with excersise

• Posted

They are my only real anxiety symptom besides feeling lightheaded sometimes, I get them much more then I get a lightheaded feeling but never at the same time

I'm very certain that I must have MVP or something out of order with my heart.. I don't get palpitations during lifting weights but sometimes after I get them. Il see what the echo says in 5 days..

Thank you!

• Posted

Simply i find shaking my legs..bounce them whatever you call it is calming. Nail biting is a bad habit and would require a ton of awareness and not allowing yourself to do that. Takes 21 days to curb a bad habit. You dont have to perfect in every way. Everyone has quirks
    • Posted

Yah me too! It relaxes me and when I'm told to stop I feel an intense pain rising up inside me lol, the nail biting is just something I do without realizing it and get mad when my nails are gone the next morning haha

• Posted

Hi, yes I think the leg shaking is mainly a man thing, I have seen lots of guys doing this when anxious, eg at dentist, or doctors, or even sometimes just while waiting for someone. I have seen women do the leg thing, but not anywhere near as many as men. Think it starts as a calming aid then can become a habit.

Nail biting, well anxious, stressed or nervous this can start the nail biting, often it starts in childhood, and could be due to any type of stress, eg, starting school etc. Once started very hard to stop,

Heart flutter, well, I guess most of us on here get that, it goes with the terratory I am afraid, and as Sydney said unless it is virtually continual, or it has other symptoms, or it actually is making you feel genuinely ill, my guess its just anxiety.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for this, that is true I don't really see many woman bouncing their legs haha, but I always see guys tapping when they sit,

The nail biting is always done when I'm watching tv and has always been done then

Never when I'm out an about. Il be getting an echo in 5 days to see what's wrong with my heart, I'm going for heart murmur Arrhthmia and palpitations sad

No other symptoms

• Posted

Hope all is well with your echo, it will at least give you some peace of mind.

I am pretty sure it will all turn out to be anxiety, but you need to be reassured by the professionals.

Let us all know how things pan out.....

• Posted

Ya so for the last few years I've been bitting my cuticles. I do it all the time without always noticing and I also do it when I'm nervous. I never really questioned why I do it it drives my husband mad and I will literally do it until my fingers bleed now that I think of it this might have been the beginning of my anxiety.

• Posted

A lot of the time I have heart palps or other anxiety symptoms I feel calm and content but my lady says my body motions are anxious (biting or bouncing) then after she tells me I realize maybe I'm not as calm as I feel because it feels almost painful to just sit there without doing anything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.