wound bleeding.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had my OP today and have noticed a slight bleeding

through the bandage of the toe that had the bunion

shaved...am I being paranoid or is this to be expected?

I'm now laying with my feet elevated and have no

intention of moving unless absolutely necessary.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI Misskh  how long ago was your operation?
    • Posted

Hello simbacat 9.30 ish today...but it has only started

bleeding in the last half hour or so. I have been up and down at times through the afternoon as the physio

said it was ok to heel walk in my botties for 10/15 a

time, not that I did for that long didn't dare, but just

poodling to the loo and such.

• Posted

OK its early days and bleeding can happen especially if you had the normal open surgery where they have to cut through the muscle etc to get to the bone.keep you foot up and only move when you have to. I was told 50 minutes with my foot up out of every hour, But best not to do the other 10 minutes all at once! Just a couple of minutes at a time to get to the loo etc.Sleep with your foot raised on a cople of pillows and  If its still bleeding tomorrow morning call the surgery for reassurance. A little bleeding often happens
  • Posted

Had my surgery in the morning and both my feet bled through the bandages during the afternoon. I was told this was quite normal and sent home with extra badage to wrap around my feet if required. Good luck -hope recovery goes well.
    • Posted

Thank you both so much it freaked me out a bit and

I'm hoping it isn't anything that I've done, like split a

stitch and it will stop. If anything I was expecting my

right foot that has had more extensive work to cause

problems.

• Posted

Hi i had the same thing but it stoped after the first day so dont panick  lol 
  • Posted

Hi, a little blead is to be expected.  I had my op back in May this year and although everything healed well I am only just starting walking without a limp.  Also the big toe was quite elevated and stil is a little elevated so I think my advice to you would be not to panic, rest and elevate your foot as much as possible.  I live on my own and so it was difficult to rest my foot as much as I should have done.  I also went back to work after 5 weeks simply because staying in doors was driving me crazy.  I started wearing boots with a wedge back in September but to be honest I live in trainers most of the time and wear foot wear during normal working hours.  I am now back at the gym and find the bike the best exercise as it does not put too much pressure on the operated foot.  My bunion was a particulalry big bunion so much so that it was impossible for me to wear normal foot wear.  I am happy with the result.  In particular the scar looks great considering.  I need the other foot done but I am waiting until at least one year (so May 2016) in order to give my operated foot best time to heal and adjust.

So dont worry, dont panic, rest and keep the foot elevated.  Once you are up and (limping) to start with use an ice pack to take the swelling down.  Also, buy some Devils Claw from the health shop.  Use this when the stitches have fullly healed so say about 8 weeks after the op.  This will help with the post op swelling.

I hope this has been of some use to you and I know what you are going through.

Shirley x

• Posted

Thank you Shirley, you seem to have done very well

considering you live alone. Hubby phoned the hospital

this morning as it bled through the night but they have said not to be overly concerned so I'm goung to spend as much time as I can resting today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.