Wound dressing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys

I'm new to this forum but in the last 3 weeks found it a blessing!

My question is how long do the dressings need to stay on for please? I never thought to ask with the nurse when she checked it over.

I have had glue rather than staples or stitches, and a LTHR about 3.5 weeks ago.

To be honest i think its more about helping me feel its protected!! Daft i know...

Thanks for any help or advice x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There is a great example on how to remove the bandage and replace with the new one on utube. The glue is shown as well and it shows how the scar looks no drainage or redness which is what is checked for each time the bandage is changed every 3-4 days. 
  • Posted

Hi Bizz, 

I had dissolveable stitches when I had mine done 21 months ago. Normally its around two weeks, but I had to keep mine dressed for 4 weeks as the nurse said they didn't want the knicker line to rub the scar whilst stitches still dissolving, so had to wait for scabs to come off. I had to change them every 3/4 days. I would speak to your practice nurse, or call the ward you were in and ask their advice if all looking good.

• Posted

Hi,

I was advise to keep it covered until it stops draining.  That was about 3 days post op for me.  If I got dressed up to go out though, I put one on as a precaution for the first 10 days. 

Best wishes as you continue to recoversmile

• Posted

Hi Bizz, I had a left THR on 15 June, I was at my local health centre today to see the nurse.  She checked my wound and put on a new dressing, I was told to make an appointment with the nurse to get the wound checked about 10 days after my operation.  The nurse was happy with my wound today, said it looked clean, and she had no stitches to remove as I have dissolvable stitches.  She put a clean dressing on and said it may weep slightly  but that is normal.   I've not got to go see her again unless it's weeping a lot or I am concerned.  I've got another three dressings which I can put on if I like ... she said the dressing she put on today can stay on for up to 5 days.  

I know what your saying about feeling protected I was dreading her taking my original dressing from my operation off in case the wound was not looking ok.,... as it was , all was well, so in a way it gave me reassurance.  If you are concerned it might be worth going to your local health centre and seeing someone just to check over your wound ..... best of luck to you.... Lizbet 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.