Written off by consultant

Posted , 8 users are following.

Diagnosed with DD some 3 years ago however realise I had been suffering for some time prior to this however didnt like to discuss.

Had colonoscopy and 2 sigmoidoscopys which while did not identify any cancer did show DD.

I am now suffering from constant abdominal pain and nausea in the mornings. The pain keeps me awake at night .I also suffer constant diarrhea, and 'accidents' when working/shopping . So embarressing and due to DD I now have had to give up working  etc 

Recent 2 lots of antibiotics due to flare up however still got abdominal pain.

Recent visit to consultant who has now more or less told me to learn to live with it as nothing more to be done. Im only 57 and a young one at that.

Now have constant pain , faecal incontinence pads which are huge .

and poor quality of life . Cant discuss my problem with friends and family and embarressed about it .

Life not good but at least its not cancer and life threatening

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi caroline so sorry to hear this, i too have DD and what you say has been me for the past 7 months. I was diagnosed 4 years ago after having the runs for 5 months. Then suddenly it ended and was fine for 4 years, then it came back and i know exactly how you feel it is a living hell. The hospital have been no good what so ever. I had another colonoscopy to be told there is nothing wrong ?? I too was having accidents feeling so ill and total depression as my life was just awfull. I went to the doctors week in week out with no help till eventually a doctor listened. He put me on steroids now on a low dose and also taking Mebeverine. I feel so much better, i don't know whether it's getting better as before or the tablets are helping. I have been on here before and some lovely people tried helping me and it really meant a lot. I would like to speak to them to tell them i am feeling a lot better but can't find my original post. Please keep going to the docs and pressure them to help you, you can't carry on like that it's not a life. Please tell me how you get on as i felt that DD was going to take me. Just to be able to leave the house to go out shopping or whatever is heaven that i could'nt do while so ill. I feel for you and no matter what age you are you can't live like that. I hope you get better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Caroline, have had DD for about 8 years and tried all the so called remedies, antibiotics, horrible examinations, diets and so on. Nothing has worked and it only gets worse with the passage of time. Surgeon has said he won't operate as it's too widespread and risky, however the last time I saw him, a few weeks ago he requested an endoscopy and a barium enema as it is 5 years since this was carried out. Both procedures have been done and I still await the results five weeks later. The wheels of the NHS turn very slowly if not backwards and the amount of waiting time I have endured over the years must equate to at least half the time I have had this hellish disease. One suggestion which was made at my last appointment was to refer me to a gastro-enterologist, which may be another avenue of action for you, if you have not already visited one. I await this appointment hopefully in the near future, the referral was done about seven weeks ago.

unfortunately we have a third world health service, but if you dangle large amounts of money in front of the medics, things would get done a hell of a lot quicker. Anyway I wish you the best for the future, you are not alone.

Kind regards, Bob.

• Posted

Hi Bob

I was appalled to hear you were still awaiting your results after 5 weeks.  I do hope you have been chasing them up.  I was handed a written report on my colonoscopy immediately after my procedure, before I went home, and had a letter from my Consultant 2 weeks after my CT Scan, so can only assume your NHS area must have different procedures to mine (Devon).  I know sometimes results are sent to your GP and you are expected to phone to request them.  As for your referral I have known requests to get "lost" in the system, but you should certainly know the waiting time for an appointment.  I found my waiting period hard enough to bear so can only imagine your torment.  My cousin was a sufferer of this disease and never found anything to help either, just soldiered on.  I see you are new to this Forum - I do hope you find something here that you have not tried, which may help you.  I did and am glad I have joined.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Felinia and thank you for your message. As a matter of interest our NHS area is South Ayrshire, Scotland.

not very inspiring is it. Thought NHS England had problems!!!!

• Posted

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all.

Just wanted to update you , Ive had a reasonable Christmas however terrible bowel problems all Christmas nigh and felt dreadful all of Boxing day, that what I get for trating myself to one glass of wine ! Still meant I had to think about what I was eating. Pain has been awful and consultant gave me codeine so I could get some sleep. Cant say I slept brilliant but at least got a few hours . Cant continue with it as apart from being addictive I feel like I am a zombie when I take it and it does upset me and makes me feel very sick . Abdominal pain not good at the moment however going to get another doc appointment and see what he suggests . Still having accidents but hopefully 2017 will bring some answers. Bloody pain in the arse this DD .X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.