Wrong diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well after being told and treating me for Diverticular disease by my GP and eating lots of fiber for nearly 3yrs and feeling increasingly worse I now have seen a Gastroenterologist ,after more tests and a Sigmoidoscopy I’ve been told I have IBS and the Diverticulosis was an incidental finding on my Colonoscopy 3yrs ago ,so I now have to cut back on my fiber but continue to take  Loperomide.So doctors do get it wrong at times.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have DD and IBS   The IBS bothers me more than the DD   I do take fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic tablet every morning if I get upset or stressed my IBS kicks in   I try to be careful in what I eat   I hope things settle down for you 
  • Posted

Hello I came across your post and I found it interesting that although you were originally told and treated for Diverticular disease they now say you have IBS and the the diverticular was an incidental finding.  I was diagnosed with IBS around 6 years ago age 64.  Earlier this year because of blood in stools and constipation I had a colonoscopy.  They found 1 benign polyp small internal hemmeroids and diveriticular all down the left hand side.  I was told the blood was either from the the hemmeroids or the diverticular.  I wished I had asked a bit more but was so glad there was nothing sinister I didn't think about it.  I am now waiting to see the gastro with a view to an upper endoscopy as I have been having slight indigestion but a lot of back pain which feels related but I also have arthritis of the spine.  I had a lot of stress this year and family problems all leading up to my 70th birthday earlier this month.  So stress is most definitely a big factor and I am having some counselling for general/health anxiety.  I wonder how you are coping now with the IBS.  I am finding it hard to work out what symptoms are caused by IBS and what are caused by diverticular or like you are they just an incidental finding.  I landed up in A and E a week a go with awful cramps on the left hand side around naval level.  I had have this before over the years and it usually cleared once I passed wind.  This time is did not go and it seemed like my intestine was in spasm.  The did blood and urine tests which were all clear and gave me buscopan said they thought it was IBS and to come back if it got worse.  I had just had routine blood tests with my gp and they came back clear.  From what you say I think you must suffer from loose stools rather than constipation.  From what I can see Diverticulitis is a horrible condition which I would not wish on anyone but IBS seems to have more varied symptoms and both definitely can affect the bladder.  

• Posted

I have DD and IBS and I have found my bladder has changed I don't need to go as much but also I am getting pain sometimes. My IBS is kicked of by certain foods and stress but my DD is if I eat something that courses a infection. I kept a food diary for months so I know what I can and can't eat. If I eat something different I put in my diary and see how I go   I also have arthritis in both knees and hips so I take paracetamol can't take anything else because it upsets my stomach 

• Posted

Yes I do suffer from diarrhea and take 1 Loperamide daily for it which does help and stops the cramps as well.I do feel really well at the moment and I hope it continues.When my IBS kicks off it does affect my bladder and I need to go every hour but this has also calmed down, I do think they are related.
  • Posted

I have bladder problems with my IBS sometimes I go a lot other times I don't go all day   I put this down to the mabevarine I take 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.