Wrong iol for me, not sure of options to fix

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi - I had cataract surgery on my left eye approx a month ago. During the initial consult, my doctor said I would get a standard monofocal lens set for distance, that other lens were not an option due to glare and contrast issues. Having been near sighted since a child, and working in IT, being able to read electronic devices such as a pc is important to me. When I voiced my concerns to the doctor, I was told I can wear readers for near vision. So I went forward, expecting to make lemonade from lemons.

Not long after the surgery, I was told I could have opted for near vision, as well as correction for my astigmatism with a premimum lens. I feel the doctor did not disclose all my options prior to surgery to make an informed decision.

I have verified with a different practice that it can be fixed though most likely will be considered elective by my insurance. I reached out to a different doctor at the original practice who also confirmed this, who also advised they will waive their charge ($6000) but I will have to cover the hospital charge ($15000 if no insurance).

While I appreciate covering their cost, my desire to get a premimun lens, like a trulign that is accomadating aspheric toric monofocal set for near vision, may be an issue for them to cover. Not too comfortable about my covering the hospital cost for what to me, seems like a mistake on the doctor's part due to the level of experience.

Any suggestions on my options as I am not happy with leaving it set to far distance and wish to resolve it before doing the other eye?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

correction to the previous.  My right eye has a mild cataract.
  • Posted

Sue mentioned progressive lenses and these are, of course a good option. You didn't mention if you are able to wear contact lenses but, if so. you certainly could consider multi-focal contacts over your IOL (and there are toric options too).The amount of near add varies (and there are even custom options) but you may end up finding a type that works well for the near vision point you want. 

If you do opt for another surgery to a monofocal set for near I strongly suggest you spend some time with glasses or contacts set to mimic the focus point you'll get with a near-focus IOL. You've now lost all accommodation in that eye so you may find the range of focus at that near point to be quite narrow and the closer in you go, the narrow that range will get. 

• Posted

Hi Joe, so sorry to hear about your disappointing pre-operative counseling. I really hope cataract surgeons and others involved in pre-op counseling read these posts.  I have also always been near-sighted and was terrified of losing close-up vision after surgery.  I opted for an intermediate/near monofocal (no thanks to any pre-op counselor I had either) and am very satisfied with the compromise.  It seems from what I've read in these forums that previously near-sighted patients are still frequently talked into being corrected for distance, despite their preference to maintain close-up vision.  Joe999, if it has only been a month I'd give it a lot more time before doing anything, as your vision and brain will continue to adjust.  You will likely appreciate gaining the distance vision more as time goes on (for what it's worth, no one that I've talked to that has normal distance vision would choose to be near-sighted, despite the hassle of using readers!). The last thing I'd do is rush into any type of surgical correction.  Take your time in deciding what to do with the other eye, but targeting it more near-sighted could be a good option to giving you back some of your intermediate/near vision. Talk to other professionals about your concerns and preferences, for additional opinions.  Although this forum can be helpful, it is impossible to factor in all your specific eye conditions, vision measurements, and lifestyle needs that can be discussed in better detail with a good opthalmologist.

(Forum to Cataract Surgeons: Many near-sighted people like being near-sighted!!)

• Posted

Why do you have to cover the hospital charge? ["I will have to cover the hospital charge ($15000 if no insurance)"].  Isn't cataract surgery normally done in the day surgery room of either the hospital or the eye surgeon's clinic?

• Posted

One does not have to stay in the hospital overnight to get billed for the hospital charges. If one uses the hospital facilities for the surgery, one gets a bill from the hospital. The money paid to the hospital by my insurance for my cataract surgery was much higher for they had to pay to the surgeon.
    • Posted

In the last sentence of my response above, "...higher for..." should have been "...higher than..." 

That is, it should have been:

"The money paid to the hospital by my insurance for my cataract surgery was much higher than they had to pay to the surgeon."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.