Xanax?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have pretty severe anxiety and was originally put on .25mg of Xanax which didn't do anything for me.

The psych then upped my dose to 6mg per day 😕(1mg every 3 hours or something of that sort)

I wasn't comfortable with that dose so I decided to suffer without them this whole time.. until today when I took 0.5mg of the Xanax and fell straight asleep. Woke up an hour later with anxiety still.

I'm annoyed and worried as to why it didn't work and just put me to sleep. It makes me feel like I don't have anxiety and I have some crazy illness.. or that I have anxiety and no medication or anything will make me feel better. Ugh

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Once anxiety becomes ingrained its dificult to get rid of it,   Try and find out what is making you anxious and confront it, I am not on any meds but try to deep breath, read books, listen to music, go to table tennis etc.   Keep saying to yourself - I am a very healthy woman and take consolation that very bright caring people are usually the ones who suffer most from anxiety.   Each time you get an anxious thought try very hard to replace it with an optomistic one. cc
  • Posted

There are many self-help methods you can implement to help you with your anxiety and they are invaluable tools to help you cope and overcome.

However, where meds are concerned it is never advisable to self medicate, as in missed dosages or taking them as and when,contrary to your GP;s instructions. If you are not comfortable with the dosage don't play around with it. Go back to your GP and discuss the problem

• Posted

The best advice i can give you is get away from any "Dr" who throws high doses of xanax at you and sends your way. I dont care what qualifications they have they are ignorant and outdated.  You should get a cyp450 tests. Bloodtest it will tell you what drugs metabolize well in your body related to an anxiety disorder. Your lazy dr should have done that for you already. Ooh that infuriated me. If you are the half that meds dont work for whatever reason then you have to do this on your own.  Go and see an holistic therapist. It is that simple. Thats a start point. There are many therapies out there to self learn and use to help you help yourself. A load of xanax daily is a crappy idea and its like putting a bandaid on a bleeder. 

Google medical breakthroughs in anxiety disorders. It provides real hope. They are working on this disorder to figure it out. Hang in there your generation will see a fix or reset. 

Love, you live in a world of the internet. Knowledge is power here. Read about this disorder and all it entails and remidies, self help, all different therapies, mediatation, ebooks, podcast..learn! They even have clinical trials out there you can try. 

• Posted

Hi there, I'm 21 experiencing the same thing. I started on .25mg twice a day, now I take 1 mg a day which is not working either. The xanax is a temporary relief to the panic attack, or anxious wind sweeping over you. It is never correcting the problem and the body soon becomes tolerant of it. Trust me, I just went to a cardiologist because I thought, hey if the xanax isn't working it probably is something wrong with my heart. Normal everything, EKG, echo, blood test etc. Like someone mentioned, once you have anxiety it is very hard to get rid of it by xanax only. It's only a temporary fix and it doesn't even work all the time. I'm 5 feet taking 1 mg a day and my mom looks at me like I'm crazy because I'm so small, but it really does not work for me. As of today I am starting Buspar, 5 mg twice a day. I would recommend giving an antidepressant/anxiety medication a try. It does not work for everyone but if it does work it will prevent your brain from going into an anxious state over time. At the same time you have to put in work. Find a therapist who can help you find ways to overcome it nonpharmacologically, like if you're out to dinner or in a public area. The ER told me exercising, walking, swimming and meditating is great for anxiety. But the xanax is not going to be your gateway to recovery, it is just a little fix. In fact you should see this as a beautiful thing, that the xanax isn't working, because it's your body telling you, hey please start doing something before I get worse. You will be fine, I am still struggling everyday, waking up to going to bed. But I ensure the xanax isn't working for me and it is not something wrong with you. The mind is so powerful unfortunately. Hang in there <3

• Posted

maybe your doctor needs to try a different medication. Such as a combination anxiety/depression medication. See if you can discuss this with your doctor. Sometimes it takes trying several different medications before you find one that works.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for talking to me like I'm stupid lol! I clearly am aware that Xanax is not something to take everyday and not a good medication in general.. hence why I didn't take it at a high dose as prescribed. Also, I'm a nurse so I am entirely capable of self medicating and my doctor tells me to.

I've been in therapy for years and have never been able to settle the anxiety completely so that I can lead a normal life. Mine is genetic in nature it seems.. I'm starting lexapro today.

• Posted

Goodness me! We are not psychic. No one was aware that you were a nurse, that you were entirely capable of self-medicating and that you had your doctor's permission

At the end of the day people were just trying to help you as best they could.

• Posted

It doesnt matter if she a nurse, a doctor or some top notch buisness woman. Anxiety disorder run through all the same and bring anyone who gets them to their knees. Logic dies out and fear creeps in and it comes down to what to do to make the fear and pain subside. The most educated and wealthiest even get addicted to medications. Doesnt even matter if you know better. *But she does and thats good.  Although no one reading that would know whether it was a vent, a concern or a question. That kind of scriot with a benzo was done 20 years ago. Very very odd recommendation of a benzo. Almost unreal.
    • Posted

I agree. Anxiety knows no borders/boundries where human beings are concerned I have the utmost sympathy for anyone struggling with AD/PD. And I have tried my hardest on this Forum to help because I know how truly awful it is

However, it baffled me that someone should respond to those who are attempting to assist, in so patronizing, almost  arrogant manner.

If she's a nurse and knows all then.about meds......well them.....

Physicial heal thyself

No one, not one person responded as though she were stupid

Stupid? No

Ill mannered? Yes

And if that comment gets me struck off the Forum, so be it

• Posted

You need to take your prescribed dose, your GP has worked out what you need. You take them as agreed

Good Luck

Keep a hold

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.