Xanax, Percocet & Ambien Need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 64 and never took anything for pain in my life till i fell down steps 2 yrs ago. I had some procedures done that made the pain worse. The doctor prescribed me  3 - 5mg percocet.a day.  I have been on ambien for 6 yrs do to ptsd & essential tremors, i couldn't sleep.  Now after more procedures he gave me 2 ten mg percacet & 2 backlefin a day.& now he just started me on Lyrica too along with  2 .5 mg of xanax a day for the stress. 

When i read up on xanax i wanted to stop so i did cold turkey. Since  i was only taking maybe 1 a day cut in quarters or maybe a half of one at nite. I didn't think it would be hard but i stopped sleeping & the pain is worse  I'm a walking zombie  I can actually feel myself fighting sleep when the ambien starts to work. I'm afraid to sleep because i feel like i'm not going to wake up or will be in pain. I forgot how to sleep on my own. I can't take naps so the pain is always there 24/7 and the stress is off the charts knowing i'm on 3 addicting pills.  I don't know what to take and when. I asked him to change the xanax for valium but he said i have to see a psychiatrist to do that and honestly i feel like i need one after these doctors harm you with procedures then load you up on meds.  I have a constant head ache from my neck pain after a chiropractor adjusted me. Or could it be that i stopped taking the xanax that the pain is feeling worse?? i know all 3 are addicting and i don't take more than  what they prescribed no matter how much pain i'm in. Today i was so bad i went back and  took a quarter of the 5 xanax & my reg amount of percacet but even that's  not working anymore since i had more procedures. . After reading everyones stories about stopping xanax  I didn't know if it was withdrawal and should taper even that amount..  I just want to sleep. The water from my eye is making a sore in the corner & i have angular cellulitis on my mouth. Did anyone ever get that from using xanax?? I never had that ever but I've had it now 3 times since taking xanax.  I want off all these meds but don't know how. My doctor won't prescribe Valium, says i have to see a psychiatrist to get them in my state,  I don't know why he can't since he's the one who prescribed  the xanax.  Can it be withdrawal even tho i was only taking such a small amount?  I didn't know how harmful these drugs were. I always remember Ben Afflick saying in a movie that people take a xanax for a headache so i didn't know it was so bad . Even the housewives on tv  act like theirs nothing wrong taking a xanax so i didn't think much of it. Now that i know better i'm so scared. When i took a whole one i fell asleep the first time & when i got up i was in another world but i loved the sleep . Now i don't get sleep from them. It will help a bit with the headaches, probably have them from worrying about taking them.  Can anyone help me out here?  I need sleep & need something for pain but don't want to be on these drugs.  I tried every over the counter  sleeping aid & pain pill. Nothing has helped. I took Advil PM and nothing. Wide awake & in pain. So can even the littlest amount of xanax play these games with your mind & make your pain feel worse?? Anyone?  I would really love to know because i'm driving myself crazy thinking every minute of the day how I'm an addict.  It's amazing how one fall can do so much damage. Here i was packing to retire and enjoy life & fell bringing a box down steps tuning my life up side down.  Now i feel like  i'm ready for the box instead of enjoying my retirement.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're hurting, PLEASE know you are not alone in this. Immediate and complete education is the key to recovering, and we DO recover. Addiction and physical dependence are two very different things, and you are not an addict. The fall itself may not be the culprit here. There are dozens of support groups on facebook where hundreds who have been down the very same road, or more accurately still on it, are guiding and supporting each other. The best source of educational reading material is likely the benzodiazepine information coalition, they also have a facebook page. Its director is a medical doctor, as well as a fellow sufferer. Gather your strength, and hopefully a family member or friend willing to educate themselves as well so they are aware of what you're experiencing and why. My best to you, with hugs and hope.  

• Posted

Hey Jean, Since i wrote this my doctor gave me valium   Well i hated that too, didn't help with sleep which i soooo desperately need    I also found out i have occipital neuralgia   Horrible & that's why the pain in my head is soooo bad. Not one second without a headache & neck pain along with back pain.  The dam doctors didn't know what i had & here the chiropractor did when i told him all my symptoms. The looked it up & every symptom was me. I swear i would be a better doctor then all the ones i saw    But i'm still on perks even tho they don't help one bit but i have another pain management appt next week.  I had to look up the meds i should be on.  This disease is a man made one, from a fall, concussion or even just lowering your neck all the time on the computer or phone !!  Some got it from their chiropractor or when you get a root canal.   This is the most excruciating pain you can have. It's called the suicide disease because there isn't a cure & the pain is so bad that no one understand, when your nerves are damaged in your neck it effects everything.  , i also have triangular neuralgia where your face, hair & all the nerves on your head hurt. smiling hurts, opeining your mouth hurts  Touch you head so  many things that i took for granted hurt. Even taking a shower the water hurts. People are screaming on youtube videos with the pain. Exactly like me.    So now i'm still on ambien, off xanax, off valium but i think i still have a bit of side effects from them too & i'm still on perks till i see the pain management doctor. I wouldn't take a thing if i wasn't in pain and had sleep.  Thank you so much for reaching out.  I want to get the word out about this disease. It's life changing in one minute.  Def check it out on youtbe. xo

• Posted

I'm feel SO sad that you are sad. I so understand your need for sleep. When we are sleep deprived it affects every aspect of our lives..it has a complete knock on effect. There are so many of us just limping along, trying to hold each other up as we tread this sleep depravation road. I agree with Jean - "addiction & physical dependant are two different things". Physical dependence in & of its self does not constitute addiction. If I could get through the phone I'd be giving you hug right now. Don't loose hope...retirement is waiting for you. You might limp a little on your journey there BUT you'll get there. I wish you strength & courage & a great big hug. You'll be ok. Your are so not an addict.

Blessing to you 💟

• Posted

Thanks Lolipop   i appreciate you getting back to me.  I just posted what i found out about my pain.   occipital neuralgia   Horrible horrible horrible. Pain every minute of the dam day and nite.  Thanks for sending the hug.  but if you touched me i would be in sooo much pain.   But would have loved it.  xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.