Yesterday's Procedure with Alcon AcrySof IQ

Posted , 2 users are following.

The procedure yesterday went smoothly--just topical deadening with a Valium given before hand. After much thinking and reading, I chose the mono focal implant over the Panoptic. I just did not want to chance dealing with the halos and starbursts at night (since my vision at night was already lousy with the lights).

Doc took the eye patch off today and it is amazing to be able to see normally for the first time in 60 years. I have a daily wear multi focal contact in my right eye right now and can read quite well. Clinic gave me 10 days worth of mono focal contacts at -8.50 to see if my brain could work with it. If I do well I can get my right eye under corrected with another mono focal lens.

Several people in the clinic were getting the panoptic and I suppose there may come a day I regret not doing that but right now I am very, very happy with the mono focal. My reasons for not choosing the panoptic included not only the halos and starbursts but also included the possibility of still having to wear something to see close up. If I have to wear contacts or glasses to read I may as well not have to deal with halos too.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Another test that you may want to try is getting some +1.25 and +1.50 D readers, and see how well you can read with your new IOL eye. The purpose is to simulate what vision you will have if they under correct your second eye by those amounts. At first I thought 1.25 was good, but now I am leaning more toward 1.50 for my second eye.

The contact test is good to determine how well you can tolerate an under correction.

• Posted

He told me I could try different lenses.

Does that mean I should try a -9.50 contact? Or a -7.50 contact?

My brain is tolerating the -8.50 quite well. It's not perfect absolutely but I can see better than I ever could with my multi focal contacts.

I forgot one other reason I did not go with the Panoptic is how it divides the light. I already had a problem seeing clearly in less than bright circumstances. It's interesting that I only found all that information by my own research. But I also will add my doc never pushed the premium lenses on me either.

• Posted

Do you have a current eyeglass prescription for the non operated eye? If it is -9.0 D for example then it would be best to try contacts 1.25 D to 1.75 D less than that to see what it is like. Usually an under correction of 1.5 D is about right. The bit of an issue with using is that your non operated eye may still have some accomodation to help reading close. When you use reading glasses with your IOL eye it can give a bit better estimate of what an under correction will give you with an IOL eye.

• Posted

I saw one of your older posts and see your right eye is -10 D. So, yes a -8.5 D monofocal contact should give you a good simulation of what monovision will be like. That is a -1.5 D under correction and in the ball park. But, as I said some cheap dollar store reading glasses and looking only through your IOL eye (after it fully heals) will give you a more accurate reading on how much under correction works best for you. The trick is to use as little as possible while still being able to read well. If you go for too much under correction it will leave a "hole" of poor vision in the intermediate range.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.