You kill off one symptom, three more come to its funeral...

Posted , 4 users are following.

The title off this thread, honestly, is how I feel right now. Each time I feel like I overcome a symptom, rather than receiving some peace and quiet, something else happens and sends me off the boil again. The brain zaps, or the crawly sensation that I posted a topic about, they have gone, and they genuinely are not missed, because they were horrible. So, I had a couple of days where I felt good. Now, today, suddenly I have been experiencing numbness in my face, which is absolutely horrifying. Last night I was feeling anxious, and I caught myself drooling without realizing it, or I'll notice I'm accidentally spitting a little bit when I speak. My arms feel stiff, one of my shoulders is absolutely killing me. My neck's sore. I am so aware of EVERYTHING. The Mirtazapine helps me sleep, but the anxiety constantly has me fatigued. This CBT seriously needs to hurry up and get here. 

The anxiety never lets up, not even for a second. And most of the time some of these symptoms arise when I'm at home, seemingly content, watching the TV. And because my anxiety stems from health, and worrying that something is wrong, when an anxiety symptom crops up, the worrier in me thinks it's something serious. If you could hear some of the things I have worried about having, from brain tumors to motor neurones disease, from MS to cancer, and I get annoyed at myself because there are poor souls out there that are genuinely suffer from these ailments. But, for me, it's not as simple as "just don't think like that" because that is where my brain goes every single time. I am constantly afraid that something is wrong with me, constantly. And I know that anxiety can cause just about any side effect you want it to, but there is always this little voice in my head that says "but what if it's something else?" 

2 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I'm the same.  I've had anxiety for about ten years but only  lately I have been having aches and pains in my leg and hip, plus a swollen foot.  This makes my anxiety worse.   I also take Mirtazapine.  I don't think it's the meds doing giving this pain.  I swear anxiety gives you all sorts of strange symptoms. I did mention this to my GP about the pain being from my anxiety, but she just wouldn't have it.

The anxiety is the same for me,  never lets up.  It's on my mind constantly which starts my aches off.  That's always at the back of my mind "what if it's something else?"  I think it's just the anxiety doing all sorts to my body. Only time I have a break from it is when I'm sleeping.  Stop worrying that there could be something seriously wrong with you.  You'll just tip yourself over the edge. It's  probably the anxiety doing all sorts to the  body.   I went to my GP about the aches and pains,  and had a blood test and  I have Vitamin D deficiency.   Speak to your GP about the numbness in your face.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I will, but I'm pretty sure it's down to anxiety. The numbness is my face is already gone, only lasted a few minutes. If I think too much about it, which I am trying desperately hard not to do, it will probably come back. It's just hard, sometimes, trying to stay so positive all the damn time. Feeling like, if you ever stop being "on", all the negative things will start flooding back. Know what I mean?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's like there's no off button.  Thinking about it makes only makes it worse,  which is something I do constantly.   Negative things are always at the back of the mind.  I say to myself "think positive",  but it's hard to switch off from the negative mode.   I used to get numbness in my arms, but that went.  It was all down to the anxiety.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Exactly. When people tell me to think positively, I think to myself, that's all well and good, but you're basically telling me that if I stop being "Mr. Positive", I'll go back to square one. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's hard to think positive (well I find it hard to).  To me it's like I've had anxiety for so long,  it's just become a part of me.  I had it yesterday, last week,  last year, ten years ago.  I'll still have it tomorrow and it's not going to go (unless a miracle happens) and it's hard to explain to someone who's never had it,  because they think it's all in our mind.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Its a mal function. Its not that your thoughts bring it on its that your thoughts have to manage it once it fires. To self calm it. This is not a self inflicted thing, it isnt. Its a mal function with sensory stuff (amygladas in the brain) that triggers adrenaline rushes and shoots out fear and symptoms. Its the positive self calm tools you use to calm it down..over ride the bodies automatic response.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its a never ending thing. And symptoms recycle or come at a bunch at a time sometimes. This is real and extremly frustrating. Even with ailments, i have a few, panic attacks are still panic attacks and treated the same. Drs still have no answers. Do you take magneisium suppliments? Magnesium glycinate is very useful. Pure encapsulates just follow the bottle. Its help calm down the nerves and good at night. Doesnt bother the stomach like the other mags either. Its sours uo whenever it wants too, its a sensory trigger ,alfunction so it seems veryy random but i guess its when the body feels overloaded somehow.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm exactly the same. Started with it 14 years ago after the birth of my middle child! In my mind I have had every terminal disease going and absolutely convinced myself the Drs had missed something! At one point I was at the Drs every week! I've become better over the years but I'm not cured of it. Keep thinking if I forget about a symptom that will be the one to kill me. At the min, my latest one id a bad back, mid line pain so convinced I had ovarian, bowel or kidney cancer. Its a horrible thing to suffer. Wish I could be more positive but I cant!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It really is easier said than done, Pauline, and can be very frightening. I know it's easy for me to say, as someone who often falls apart due to anxiety, but try to keep your chin up. It'll only beat us if we let it, right?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

What if..since thats the train of thought all the time anyway..what if you surrendered to the symptoms. They happen anyway. Just surrender and accept them as a part of you. The mal function is there right, nothing we can do to fix it sooo accept the symptoms accept the first fear teir. Do not provide the second teir fear which is when you wig out because the first teir fears are happening.what if you figure out how to do this. I will tell you what eill hapoen from experience. For ten minutes you will lay there getting an adrenaline rush with fear and horrible symptoms. We all know them and know they can change. Ok they are there. Now guess what because you didnt feed it or start what if..or omg im dying it stops at the end of the cycle abt ten minutes at worst fifteen. You might feel shakin up but that from the adrenaline the fear wont recycle if dont provide the second teir of fear. Ik it all sucks and because the symptoms change it becomes terrifying but surrender in the first teir of fear. Does that make sense to you? You gonna feel shaky and thats okay because adrenaline does that but it will wear off do breathing and cbt ,,etc.,understand that first teir of fear will exist period, its up to you what happens after that.sometimes you will be able to do it with ease and other times it will a battle but the real true key to control all this stuff is not to,provide a second teir of fear. Some pills stop the first teir but its your best interest to accept and learn it for yourself because its lifelong and thats the truth. Unless science figures it out. The only challenge i have faced is being sure its a panic attack symptom because i have a couple of ailments that i deal with, but if given a full clearance of health thats the route i take. I was clear of them for years at time, yes they return and yes i surrender most of the time, this firum is so great for comfort and reassurance. It will take minths if doing this befire you see a change in you. Months expect that.say it out loud if needed just truely surrender to it. This is for actual panic attack advice. GAD probably needs a therapist and full cbt classes. But for the actual oanic attacks try that. You are a ton stringer then you realize. You have made it this far and have felt the terror so you can do this. (Pep talk😀)
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is exactly how I feel....

I hope you feel better soon ♡

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up