Young man with hip replacement. How far can I push my body?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 27 year old man and I received a total hip replacement around 5 years ago. I'm a fairly physical and active person but I've completely avoided anything that puts a strain on hip as I want it to last as long as possible. Recently I've wanted to try jogging. I done yoga for a couple of lessons and that made me feel really nervous when stretching my hip area. Basically, should I really be stretching my hip? I'd like to be in great physical shape and tone up properly but I'm often fearful of how much I can push it. I was going to the gym for a while as well and completely avoiding anything that put impact on my hip. This really does rule out a lot of machines in the gym. Does anyone have any advice for me? When I try to find answers online, advice is usually tailored to older people and patients who've not long had surgery.

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The best advice you can get for your personal situation would be to go to a physical therapist.

This site lets you know what others have experienced and how they dealt or are dealing with it. 

I am seeing my surgery,therapist and having an X-ray Monday as it’s my 6 week follow up check up. Have a few question for them both.

• Posted

Hello DanDee

I'm unfortunately twice your age at an old 53 with bilateral THR, ceramic on ceramic, titanium etc. I was in the same position in not wanting to sit around and vegetate. Have you thought about cycling, I do about 10, 000 Kms a year now which helps mentally, just a thought.

Nicholas

• Posted

Dear Dan

I would play safe and keep away from anything that causes an impact to your prosthesis not only to reduce wear but to avoid the risk of causing the stem to loosen. Revisions are best avoided if possible though mine worked out well last year but I was lucky.

No reason for not doing anything else as long as you are not doing something that risks dislocation but after all this time you should be safe especially if your thigh muscles are good.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Those are some great questions Dan. I'm starting physical therapy next week and I will ask my therapist some of these questions. If he cannot answer them I'll ask him if he knows who can answer them. Take care for now

• Posted

For one thing, you are not totally limited in the gym.  You can do light lower body with machines and heavy upper body.  Power lifting would be a no no.  Everything I read on running puts it out.  Road cycling is seen as ok but not anything to an extreme.  Mountain biking not recommended.  I have done it all prior to surgery myself but want the hip to last.  Now, I swim an hour a day.  I discovered that with swimming I can push it in regards to overall effort and get an endorphin rush.  The whole plan is to make the hip last.
  • Posted

I'm not as young as you at all (I'm 51) but I have a very active life.  The only thing my surgeon has told me not to do is run marathons or play a  lot of basketball or tennis (like train every day) because the pivoting/running if you do it a lot can wear down the joint more quickly.  But I've also seen forums for marathon runners who have replaced hips and are doing well.  Thankfully, I have no desire to run marathons.

I know there is a difference between cemented and uncemented hip replacements though I don't know how that affects wear and tear.  So it kind of depends on your specific joint replacement. Can you ask the surgeon who did your hip replacement what he suggests as far as how far you can push yourself?

I know I cringe when I think of how they say hip replacements usually last about 15 years because I'll still be athletic and active then (or at least that's the plan). 

I don't know if you had the same type of replacement as me but I know my surgeon said after 6 months I can do anything I want other than long distance running.  Also, as a sports massage therapist I would say good advice is always "let pain be your guide" and don't push through pain.  You can push through minimal discomfort but don't push through pain.

Hope that helps a little!

• Posted

From what I have read the jury is still out as regards to any difference in longevity as regards to wear between cemented and uncemented, however I would expect that the uncemented stem would be less likely to become loose before the cemented ones.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi dandee, As a keen runner myself, many moons ago as im now 69, I can symphazize with you. But, I think it better not to take the risk but rather look at all the other less weight bearing sports that you can do. I had to stop running in late 30s because of painful arthritis and managed to get to age 68 before having a ThR. I started to swim lengths, longish walks and cycled and managed to keep fit and satisfied with the buzz one gets with exercise. Swimming 1/2 mile crawl at speed will compensate for a file mile run.

Also, if you can, think longer term and think how much better your knees and back will be much later by not pounding the roads for miles.

Good luck

• Posted

"... I'm often fearful of how much I can push it...."

Hi Dandee-

Ah, a young hippie! I have been in your shoes. First off, I am sure you realize your extreme good fortune. It wasn't that long ago that young hip problem sufferers had scant choices when it came to effective treatment. Removal and fusion of the joint, for example. But, like TB and polio, those days are gone.

As for your immediate concern, medical experts have long advised: avoid impact loads and extreme positions. Patients who scoff at such wisdom generally end up regretting their cockiness. So, swimming and biking, not jogging and karate. 

Regarding biking, you should take a look at recumbent bikes and trikes. Trikes in particular are nice and stable. After some experimentation, I ended up with a ICE Adventure HD, a mechanical gem and a joy to ride. Like riding around in a lawn chair.

HTH

• Posted

I completely agree. Just because someone decides to ignore the established wisdom really does not mean they will even be able to walk in ten to twenty years time and then what sort of a quality of life will they have?

Sure I could run when I had my hip replaced and occassional did for the odd few hundred yards if I felt the need. I gave up hang gliding because that normally requires a short run on some take offs and landings and then there was always the possibility of a bad landing!

I valued my new found independence and ability to keep earning to be far too precious a gift to want to be foolish. The result was twenty years of full independence and a very full life with very few limitations.

Having worn out the poly cup last year I had it and the ball replaced for the same design but a slightly larger one and had a great recovery. I was lucky as revisions can be difficult so no guarantees there guys!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

aw bless you,if i was you i think id find a physiotherapist you can get on with,to guide you in your goals-they are really clever people and have helped me loads-ok,im old,but my son is a body builder and he swears by his physio and also an osteopath.i wish you the best-go for it! xxxx
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I really appreciate the messages and support on this forum. I will take on the advice of more swimming and cycling as forms of excersise and appreciate the lucky situation I am in to be still able to do these things when things looked grim 6 years ago. I think going to a physiotherapist will be beneficial also. Thanks 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.