your advice on knee surgery and what kind?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am so happy to have found this group.  Thanks to everyone in advance.  I am 75 years old, in relatively good shape.   My knees don't hurt, they just don't work.  I understand recovery can be pretty painful but a relative recently blew my 'don't hurt' argument out of the water pointing out how limited I am just getting around (especially standing up/sitting down.  Plus my balance is waning and I am about to begin using a cane/trekker stick

I would appreciate any advice you can give me, either pro or con.

Margene

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As others have said, it is a really brutal surgery and although most do well, there are no guarantees, mine is 21 weeks out and not yet any less painful or more mobile than pre -op yet - just different issues. Of course, healing can take months and even over a year to resolve, so we all have to bear this in mind. Some have really good recoveries much faster, it is down to many factors and a bit of luck.

​Your first port of call is to have the tests and x rays to see what is going on. You may have other options. But if it turns out you need surgery, it is still a very good option for many people as you can read on here. Good luck.

• Posted

Cynthia what sort of issues have u got at 21 weeks out?
    • Posted

Swelling, stiffness, tight rubber band sensation, nerve zaps and some numbness. I had an MUA at week 10 due to excess scar tissue which it seems my body makes faster than average.

?I am not able to take many pain meds, which did not help, I'm sure, nor would the doc prescribe anything strong once home from hospital.

?I have other conditions, so maybe they weigh in and my recovery might have been better otherwise. I would never advise anyone else not to have TKR, as so many seem satisfied and have little bother after, but it should not be a decision to take lightly, as a small percentage have complications. I have made some progress, but it has been so slow.

• Posted

Yes, wise words, and I value very highly your honest yet balanced perspectives on your experience of TKR. It's sometimes a particularly rough road and you have been, and continue to be, a great help to many, because though there have been complications you have shown that with tenacity it is possible to move forwards. 👑👑👑🎉🎉🎉🏆🏆🏆

I cannot imagine what TKR would be like without strong pain medication!

It is definately not a decision not to be taken lightly. I rave about mine... and i am extremely grateful for it, but I am young in age for TKR and had no complications. It's a decision to consider thoroughly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.