Your new medicine is positivity

Posted , 7 users are following.

Today I feel positive

Yesterday I woke up and had enough of anxiety. I had enough of worrying and feeling dizzy, sick, sweaty and ultimately powerless. I decided to say to myself "fine I am anxious, I don't feel great, so what?". It made me feel so much better because I was fed up of fighting it and I accepted it. I also became trusting of my heart. I ran for the bus yesterday and had a few palpitations but I just said "okay I'm having palps but these are normal, they happen to everyone and I have been really stressed recently which is probably why I was having them in the first place" and they went away! Then I went to dinner and realised I had left my medicine at my flat. I got really worried incase I needed them but realised I hadn't taken them in weeks and therefore knew I didn't need them and if I had a panic attack I know that with the right mentality and positive thinking i would be able to stop it. In actual fact, with such positive thinking I didn't even have one and I slept like a baby.

My point is the key to getting rid of your anxiety is to punch it's negative little face with your powerful positive fist. Literally. When you feel so crap and your inner voice is screaming scary things like "your heart is going to pop", "you can't do this", tell it where to go, tell it you are more powerful than it, tell it that you can do this and you don't need to worry.

Positive thinking takes time but if you really get into the habit of taking a positive outlook on everything and teaching your inner voice to speak positively, there is no greater medicine for anxiety.

I am not 100% over my anxiety, but I am really getting there because I am so much more of a positive person.

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well done you! Sometimes you have to kick anxiety's butt! Some days it's easy, other times you go backwards, but a positive attitude is the key to recovery x
  • Posted

This is great advice and I'm am definitely going to be trying this smile
  • Posted

This is great to read, positive thinking goes a long way..

May your new out look carrie you forward, all the best.

• Posted

I totally agree about being positive.  I'm 69 and over many years had the occasional (not daily) panic attack, usually about going on holiday or to somewhere I wasn't familiar with.  Even if it was months away, I would book a holiday and that night would be pacing the floor, stomach churning, butterflies, quick breathing etc. and trying to tell myself I was being ridiculous, after all, nothing had ever gone wrong when I was on holiday and  if it did it was dealt with.  A few months ago I had to go to London for the day, something I had done every year and nothing had ever gone wrong so I decided that enough was enough, I wouldn't let myself fall into the trap of a panic attack.  What I did was to record a message to myself and told myself how stupid I was and that women half my age were brain surgeons or pilots and I was to pull myself together and not make my life a misery every time something out of the ordinary happened.  Instead of dreading the trip to London I thought of all the previous trips and how much I had enjoyed them and made myself look forward to going rather than thinking about what could go wrong.  A couple of other things that have happened since then were looked on in the same way and I sailed through them without any feelings of panic.  I WILL NOT let anxiety ruin my life any more and, even if  felt anxious, I still did it.  I think this is the only way to feel.  I have given an opinion on messages about health anxiety, where people think they're dying after a twinge or pain but have not received a good response as the sufferers feel they are doing the right thing by sympathising with each other and comparing symptoms which can only help to reinforce their feelings of anxiety.  The "there, there" attitude is good for a while but if there's no reason for the anxiety apart from the feelings inside someone's head then the time has to come when they take their life into their own hands and say I won't be ruled by my anxiety any more.  Your positive attitude is just what's needed and I hope that you can keep the positivity up, as I intend to do.
    • Posted

People will only recover when they are ready to. It happens when you hit rock bottom and decide no more, i want my life back!
  • Posted

good on you! so nice to read a positive comment and a successful response to this nasty, sneaky anxiety we all face. great advice. i try the same and am also feeling more in control lately. hope you keep feeling better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.