Zoladex for 3months in prep for myomectomy-advice pls!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

So heres where I am at: I am 30 years old, I have 3 fibroids the largest being 4.5 cms. In the past year I have had the most horrendous menstrual bleeding due to these. My lowest point I have to say was when I was admitted into hospital while on holiday in Cuba, because I bled out leaving me severely dehydrated and anaemic. I was given a blood transfusion in order to be able to fly home. Upon returning home I was admitted again for another blood transfusion because I was still to anaemic.

So in the end the hospital booked me in for a myomectomy, and a 3month course of Zoladex before then so that I do not have another menstrual cycle and risk bein severely anaemic before surgery. I start my injection tomorrow. I read that Zoladex gives you menapausal symptoms, which scares me a bit. I would be so grateful if anyone thats been through this could give me advice as to how to deal with the possible side affects of Zoladex and even prep for a myomectomy please...

Many Thanks in advance

All the best

Q

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I've never taken zoladex, but am on fibristal (Canada) which also helps reduce bleeding and shrink fibroids. I understand it has less side effects than zoladex, in terms of the menopausal symptoms. So far, my experience with fibristal has not been too bad, but I know it differs from person to person - and so will be zoladex, I imagine.

I do wish you the best of luck with surgery, and hope all goes well.

• Posted

Hi Bee

Thanks a lot. Its been a month since Ive been on Zoladex. The side effects are bearable. I have the hot flushes, but I've learnt that stress and alcohol really triggers them. Not the best situation especially since we are having good weather in the UK. Not happy about the fact that I still got my period after the injection. I thought Zoladex stops periods immediately but this was not the case. Here's hoping I dont get a period next month!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.