Zoloft

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, I guess I am just looking for some positive words and a little reassurance if possible. I have dealt with very bad anxiety since age 8 (triggered by many personal things). At that time I was placed on anxiety medication and as a child that did not go well. My anxiety seems to be triggered by any changes, going into anything (for example I have turned down several jobs because my anxiety starts going horribly the minute I am offered anything), and also men (due to many tramatic events). My anxiety became that third unwanted person in my current relationship. I am constantly overthinking and pushing away all the people I love. My only two emotions seem to be anxiety or feeling sad and empty. I went to the  doctor ready to give anti depressants another try ( I am 24). It has been almost two weeks on zoloft 25 mg and I am feeling worse than I ever have. I feel more anxious, thinking of ending my life, non stop shaking, and the worst i feel so hopeless. Is it possible for me to ever get better? Will I ever be able to live a happy and healthy life? Will I ever be able to have a healthy relationship without depending on medication? I am currently not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry for the book but I feel like discussing it is the only way I feel any relief (I also started therapy but have only had one session so far).Any ideas on how to cope with zoloft or anxiety in general?  Thanks guys

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Been on it for two weeks as well wondering if I'll ever get better. I'm dizzy, jittery, anxious during the day

• Posted

please believe me that you will get better there's are all the side effect from taking there's tablets it can take 6to8 weeks to start feeling the effects the best advice I can offer is try not to think about the side effects and do something to take your mind off things going for a walk reading anything its hard going I know things will seem worse before it will get better but YOU will get better be strong       

• Posted

I suffered anxiety fromearly age too due to family circumstances. Had various tranquilisers and had counselling at 10 yrs!!  Eases a little till i was 16 and then had massive breakdown and given 40mg valium ans antidepressants. To cut long story short i am now in my 60s and am still anxious person but had more counselling in my 40s and thye got to root of my problem. I have felt sooo much better understanding my i had agoraphobia for 20yrs and how to deal with my thoughts. I used to shake/feel dizzy/palpitations/crybe so frightened of everything. Try to talk to ur gp or try to think (and be honest with yourself) what you are afraid of or what is bothering you other than your symptoms. 

I know this illness can be dreadful as i have been there, sorry so long but had to explain things. TAKE CARE AND YOU ARE NOT A HOPELESS CASE. XX

• Posted

I do know that these meds, they put me on Celexa make anxiety worse before it gets better. I was given Ativan to help me through the rougher bouts. It took about 6 weeks and I started having good days.

Don't worry about needing the medication right now. I mentioned toy therapist about how I didn't want to be dependent upon drugs. He said, does anyone question a dietetic if they should take insulin?

So I am going to not worry about the medication right now and simply usey energy to help make my life better and suppress this anxiety!

• Posted

You're on a very small dose of Zoloft, so it might have to be upped a bit. However, if you haven't been on it that long, the only thing you can do Zoloft wise, is wait because it takes some time to build up in your system. The medicine is doing its job slowly, but you get stuck with the side effects until it kicks in. Between starting meds, and therapy, you're on your way to feeling better.

I'm not sure about a happy and healthy life without meds. Some people only need them for a short time, while others need or prefer to take them for life. Don't worry about all of that for now, just take it one day at a time.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 32 n I also have dealt since I was a kid too. And it's s roller coaster always.

I personally have not done the medication thing, I tried Xanax for a month n I personally didn't like it.

I usually try to take walks or exercise. I do yoga at home from YouTube videos as it could get pricy to pay for classes .

There is no real good answer here. Everyone is different n manages it different. I also see a therapist . And she helps too.

Stay strong and really it's s cliche but take one day at a time and on some days one hour at a time.

• Posted

The first few weeks are the worst but i promise it gets better!! I was on for 2 years then came off only to go back on again because my anxiety was too much to handle. I have been on almost 3 months now and I'm feeling better. Still have some anxiety here and there but it is mostly under control. I see a CBT therapist to help cope and get some tips.

• Posted

Hang in there ! The medications take a while to build up a therapeutic level and very often we feel worse before we feel relief. I'm still searching for the correct medication and just started Effexor . Are you taking xanax or anything to take the edge off ?

• Posted

Allierose, wow, you have been through a lot - i always feel that depression/anxiety is a bumpy long road. We travel more in our heads than an average person actually travels on the outside. What an ordeal for a young child.  Look, you got great responses here already. I'd just like to second what everyone else said and highlight what psyched out said: do not worry about living a happy medication free life right now. That is really putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Let's hope Zoloft works well for you (it will take another few weeks until you can truly see some real improvements and adjustment disturbances itself will ease off in another week or two so hang in there). Once you start feeling better on zoloft or anyway find the drug/combo that works for you - something surely will -  even then don't start planning your medication-free life just yet. Rest up. Use the meds as a crutch. Let your brain regroup, however long it takes. Medication is the least of your problems. Getting to a place where you are comfortable is your main priority. And once the time is right to go off you and your doctor will know. Been on meds for 12 years, was told i will likely always be on them. But as it happens we completed therapy some 3 years ago and was taken off meds...and i feel great. However if i had to take them until the end, I'd not feel like a failure. Just grateful i can feel 'normal' again. Whatever it takes! Sending you best wishes. Relax and hang in there.

• Posted

Dear Purple - I couldn't have said it better myself! I am just starting to feel more normal so right now I am not worried about being med free. If I can someday fine and if I can't I am still not a failure.

My therapist had a great way to say it. " does anyone question whether or not a diabetic should try to go insulin free?"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.