Zopiclone..docs say my fault I'm addicted

Posted , 2 users are following.

Put on 7.5 dosage for sleep problems due to depression/anxiety 15 years ago. Told then it was for 'short term' only.

Found initially they worked great, lots of good sleep. But then after a time I needed to increase the dosage myself to get any sleep. GP sometimes questioned why I still used them. limp reply. \"dont always, just like to have them handy\" so they prescribed more.

Even when I moved to another City they still gave me repeats, mostly without question. Again if asked said I just liked to have a supply, but didnt need them every night...BIG lie...

Decided to come off them myself and struggled for such a long time to succeed, but eventually did to my great relief. Then the problems started , no sleep at all, endless nights of wondering why I came off them. Spoke to my CPN, he was great help, \"well they have affected your receptors and it will take a couple of years for them to repair\". That was an understatement, 4 years later still no sleep. Or occasionally the odd half hour. Tried everything, nothing really works.

Spoke to my GP last week, all she could say was I shouldnt have kept taking them and really was my fault I got addicted. Suggested anti-depressants. Kept trying to tell her I wasn't depressed,yet, but needed help in sleeping. Reluctant to go back onto any form of anti-depressant just to sleep.

When will doctors stop being God, and listen to patients. Why keep giving me drugs that they now can become addictive? Why blame me, if they had controlled my meds earlier this might never have become a problem.

Still cant sleep..

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there DaveD

Firstly, the doctors haven't been playing God with you. They are humans just like the rest of us. You shold have been truthful with them from the start and told them you take them everynight, increased the dose on your own say so etc.

They have made a huge mistake in keeping on prescribing them for you and not keeping count of how many they were prescribing and how often. :shock:

I am prescribed Zopiclone but I am allowed 7 tablets every month. :roll: This means there is no way I can take them every night or increase the dose myself. My doctor only agreed to continue prescribing them after he refused to let me have anymore and I bought them off the internet.

I have tried ordering a repeat before the 4 weeks are up and it has resulted in a phone call asking why I need more so soon.

At the end of the day you and your doctors have been at fault. You for not being honest with them (they are not mind readers) and them for not monitoring the prescriptions closely.

If you are really struggling to get some sleep, try some relaxation music.

You can try this out if you (Click here)

There are lots of ralaxation cd's on the market. Give them a try and good luck with your withdrawal symptoms.

Let's hope your post helps many more people who read here and take zopiclone. It is an extremely addictive drug and not one to be taken nilly nally.

Good luck and all the best.

Melbi x

• Posted

I have Been taking these tablets for over ten years, I have scripts at 5 different pharmacies at 60 tablets a script. I want to get off this medication so badly , I have messed up jobs, relationships you name it. It's all I can think about, my life revolves around them. I don't really know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.