Zopiclone long Term Use

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi is it ok to take a quarter of Zop each night long term? I try to have 2 nights a week without it and on the very odd occasion have to take half a dose

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Such a low dose can't do any harm. I'm surprised it has any effect.

i take one 7.5mg a night and have done for many years.

• Posted

Hi I get about 4 to 5 hrs but also on 2mg of Melatonin as well
  • Posted

I'm weaning off at the moment ..I'm taking 3.75 mg on 5 nights and try 2 nights without ..but my doc has said to take half a tab if I'm still awake at 3 or 4 am ,so at least I'm getting a bit of sleep ...I'm also attending NA  for support and help ..don't know if I'll ever be drug free but I'm trying ...

• Posted

If you have no bad side effects then there is no harm despite what some doctors will try to tell you. I started on 7.5mg 20 years ago and have now been taking 3.75mg for many years with no problems at all.
    • Posted

I don't know why we get so hung up on it. There is so much bad stuff written about this drug and provided you are sensible it shouldn't be a problem

• Posted

Some doctors treat patients like junkies because they are using Zopiclone. One doctor at my doctor at my surgery told me I would get early onset dementia if I carried on using them and I must stop right away. There is NO evidence for this at all. To cut a longer story short he ended up getting me referred to my local unit that deals with people addicted to real hard drugs ( cocaine, heroine etc)!! This treatment is disgusting and caused me a lot of stress as you can imagine. Luckily my own GP is happy to review my Zop usage once a year with her and understands that it is the lesser of evils. In fact there is no evidence of any bad outcomes for the long term usage of the drug but still some doctors get so hung up about it.
    • Posted

That's because drug addicts started selling the tablets and consequently they became a classified C Drug.

now doctors are wary of prescribing them.

if you are sensible with them, there shouldn't be a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.