Zopione

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have read with great interest the numerous postings on Zoplicone and would like to share my experience. I have been on 15 mg Zoplicone for the last 10 years. Initially I was prescribed 7.5mg for 2 months and it was then increased to 15 mg. The reason why it was prescribed is because I had, and still have, severe carpel tunnel in both my wrists. This condition has been left for so long now that it is inoperable and I'm ok with that. Prior to the Zoplicone it was near impossible to sleep because the slightest bend of the wrists would result in either one or, both of my arms going into pins and needles from the tips of my fingers right up to my elbows. The pain in my arms as they came back to life can only be described as exchurating and debilitating agony. It is know as a nerve pain. I have only ever taken 15 mg of Zoplicone at night for the last 10 years, I have never required anymore. After taking my Zoplicone at night I know that I am guaranteed uninterrupted sleep and feel refreshed in the morning. My understanding of addiction is that if a person requires more of what they are taking it is because they become intolerant of the initial dose. However, this is not my experience of Zoplicone. For the last 10 years up until 5 months ago my Doctors have been understanding of my severe carpel tunnel syndrome and the reason why I take the Zoplicone. My current Doctor however is not in agreement with the 15 mg and has put me on a weaning down programme. Currently I am on 7.5 mg for 4 nights and 11.25 mg for 3 nights. As a result of this reduction my carpel tunnel is back with avengance. In my experience with Zoplicone, I strongly believe that the weaning down process I have been put on is all together counter productive. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. All drugs have some level of toxicity in them and we all react differently to medicatons. I wish everyone who is experiencing adverse reactions to Zoplicone well. I hope that my posting will offer an honest and open opinion of how Zoplicone has helped me.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have some and i use only when needed only.  Not on a daily basis.  It is not a natural sleep,  real sleep with dreams.  I think you are better off using pain killers once in a while instead of Zopiclone.  My opinion smile
  • Posted

Hi there Lollipop 2 

Im of the same thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it.

i read your post with interest, I'm sorry that you have this pain and that is now inoperable. I have heard it's blooming painful.

Back to the Zopiclone I have to say that you've been on a medicine that should and is only supposed to be for a short spell to get a sleep pattern worked out.You will know it's a  Hypnotic to "trick" the brain to yo thinking it's bedtime. I  Like you've have been prescribed this for nearly 7 years now. No med review on that one !!

I don't take them every night 7.5mgs. If I did I wouldn't know if I had to be weaned off them. I'm on so many tablets now that I can't add too the the list. Though I do not sleep well anyway they are a help. So I've been taking them  some days and then missing days. For years!!

Its difficult when the drs are not on the same page and are not taking how you fee into cosderation.

They are taking the thing they helps you. You know what dose too.!!!

You are in pain, are you on pain meds for this, can they give you something stronger?

If they address the pain then maybe it could ease and then the lower dose may help.

In the time you are weaning off this you've got your symptoms back it's clear you know they help. 

All I really wanted to say that I am feeling for you to go back to your drs. It seems they may have seen how many years  you've been on them and are purely seeing it through getting you on a lower dose then stopping. Tell them your in pain and lack of sleep is awful.

Yep all these meds have got to have some level of toxicity. We are all different and what works for one may not b for another a all.

Thank you for sharing,

hope that you can find some ease of your pain 🙂

Vicky

• Posted

Hi there Vicky.

I think Doctors are all too aware of the withdrawal symptoms but they willingly choose to not go there because, that would be like letting the jumping Jack out of the box. Then they'd have a whole new box of frogs to deal with it !!

It's much easier for them to wave the big stick in front of you and make you feel like you're back in junior school, or worse still, haven't even started school.

I've been on 25 mg Amitriptyline for as long as the Zoplicone supposedly to help with the agony of the carpel tunnel. It does a big fat zero. Amitriptyline is a very old drug, initially prescribed for depression. My experience of this being effective for pain, well....it doesn't work for me.

As with all med's they come with side effects and one of the side effects of Amitriptyline is that it can give you a raging appetite. If I don't keep that in check I'll end up looking like a great big round ball and have, yet another, problem to deal with.

My Dr suggested upping the Amitriptyline, not a chance, I flatly refused.

Along with all of the side effects of withdrawing from Zopicone is it documented, although rare, epileptic seizure. I was diagonized with Epilepsy two and a half years ago.

Isn't life not so jolly, a lot of the time.

I don't have any inkingings but I'm thinking a lot about....if it ain't broke, dont fix it.

Sincerely, and with a huge amount of heart felt compassion, I feel for everyone who is experiencing the side effects of Zoplicone withdrawal.

Thank you for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.