Zoplicone side effects-help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been taking zopliclone for 6 months now and most of the time just 3.75mg (on a bad night 7'5mg). I am worried about the side effects as I have noticed memory loss and a general fogginess in my brain. Can anyone relate and offer me advice? I feel like I am going mad sometimes as have anxiety and can't sit still and have trouble concentrating. I notice that by the evening I start to feel more  myself so thinking its the Z flushing out of my system. My doctor is trying to push me onto antidepressants but I don't want to take more drugs, she has given me Amitriptyline as an alternative. Has anyone experienced such side effects on Z and come off them all together/gone onto Amitriptyline?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that you are going through all this with these drugs.

Has your dr discussed non medication coping mechanisms ?

The thing is that medication does not suit everyone and then one has to be weaned off said drugs.

• Posted

I have had CBT but I have very low level of oestrogen hence poor sleep. I am on fertility treatment so on a lot of other drugs, hence why I don't want to take antidepressants or stronger sedatives. I exercise every day, eat well, do meditation, yoga etc but sleep meds do the trick over these methods every time!

• Posted

This is because z has such a short half life so the anxiety and agitation is the zop withdrawals and when u take it again a feel ok its because ur body has suffient levels back 
    • Posted

Hi Weenett, I read Z flushed out after 18hours which would explain why I start feeling myself again in the evening but then back to the never ending cycle of it the next day. I don't seem to need to take more than one too much which is contrary to what I read about people building up a tolerance to them. Confused! Do you think Amitri will help?

• Posted

The anitryptaline should help u to sleep try it an see what have u got to loose 
    • Posted

Yes will take tonight. Do you know much about Anitryptaline?
    • Posted

Hi CazFrances.

I have a little personal experience with Amitriptyline, I was prescribed 3 x 25mg daily for depression/low self-esteem , and I took them as prescribed one 3 times a day and after a few days I was groggy , forgetting about things , losing things etc... When I told my GP , he cut me to two a day and I was still the same , so I had to stop taking them

I hope I helped a little.

• Posted

Don’t rule out anti-depressants, I’ve just started taking them and feel much better now.  You’ve probably read all kinds of online horror stories of people getting addicted to benzo’s and such, the thing is, if you use them properly IE. when excerise, breathing techniques and diet changes don’t help, then take them and feel better.   I was resistant to them as well, I’m a pretty straight edge person, I don’t drink, smoke or anything, I rarely take pain meds when I have a headache, but my wife made a good point: if you had a heart condition you would take heart pills, if you had a lung condition you would use a puffer, why is your brain any different? 
    • Posted

Hi Cole, I know what you mean, but I also have quite a few friends and family who have been on antidepressants and say from experience, it can make you feel 'groggy' all the time. If I wasn't on so many fertility drugs, I'd probably chance it, but worried I could end up in worse cycle! What AD are you taking?

• Posted

Cipralex I believe, and I have Klonopin when I have a bad anxiety attack, mine aren’t constant, seems to be triggered when I get behind on my sleep.  All this said, I JUST started these but have been taking Zopiclone for about 3 years now, about half a pill 2-3 times a week(on call shift worker) I’m not an expert but I have 3 kids and I know how my wife was, the process of having kids can take it’s toll.
  • Posted

In my experience I would listen to your doctor and get off of Zopiclone it is highly addictive. There are lots of different antidepressants which help with anxiety. I am on Yelate or Duloxetine. Helped loads with both anxiety and depression and less addictive. Ask your doc
    • Posted

Hi Sorry but duloxetine/Cymbalta is very addictive with lots of bad side effects. There is a website called Cymbalta Hurts Worse with many discussions about this drug. Thanks.
  • Posted

I have found if I take 15mg of zopiclone, I apparently get up in the middle of the night and have a bite to eat and when I wake up in the morning I don't remember a thing. But I have found that if I take 1 and a half zopiclone that it seems to work better for me. And as far as withdrawals, I haven't taken any in over two weeks with nor a problem. When I go to doctor next week I'll get more but I have never had a problem with withdrawals at all, maybe I'm the type that doesn't or I don't even know I'm havi g them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.