An indulgent evening meal for those with high cholesterol
Adjusting your diet to reduce your cholesterol levels doesn’t mean you have to give up your favourite ‘naughty’ dishes.
These chicken kebabs marinated in a spicy curry sauce, served with sweet potato fries and tasty coleslaw, are deliciously indulgent but still low in fat. There’s no mayonnaise in the coleslaw, the fries are oven-baked – not fried – and the spices in the chicken are packed with flavour.
If you marinate the chicken overnight, you’ll give the spices longer to get to work while the yoghurt or quark helps make the meat juicy and tender too.
For the chicken kebabs:
- 100g plain quark or low-fat yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cm fresh grated ginger
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder, to taste
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- Seeds from 3 cardamom pods
- 4-6 chicken thighs (depending on size) cut into 2.5cm pieces
For the coleslaw:
- Handful Cavolo Nero, stalk removed and finely shredded
- ½ head Hipsi, or other pale green cabbage, stalk removed and finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 25g coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dsp olive oil
- Mix the quark or yoghurt and the spices together. Stir in the chicken pieces, cover and leave in the fridge for at least two hours, or overnight.
- An hour before cooking, soak four wooden kebab skewers in water. Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers, and bake in the oven at 200°C fan/gas mark 6 for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Then fry, griddle, grill or BBQ for a minute or two to add some grill marks.
- For the coleslaw, place all the ingredients into a bowl, then mix with your hands, really squeezing the dressing into the cabbage. Season to taste.
- For the sweet potato fries, keep the oven at 200°C fan/gas mark 6. Scrub the sweet potatoes, and cut into wedges.
- Sprinkle over the paprika, salt and pepper, and oil, and toss the wedges in the oil to coat evenly. Transfer to a baking dish, spreading the wedges into a single layer and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Serve the kebabs garnished with slices of chilli and some fresh coriander, the coleslaw and hot fries.
i have been suffering for the last 10 years with very high cholrestral but go on and off statins as the cripple my muscles, my main issue is my HDL which is terribly low, 30 . i take asprin 162 mg...adele42996
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.