46 - 48 East Smithfield
Tel: 0300 330 1430 Web: www.fastuk.org
FAST (the Foundation for Assistive Technology) works with the Assistive Technology community to support innovation in product development and good practice in service provision. Assistive Technology (AT) is any product or service designed to enable independence for disabled and older people.
FAST is a charity. As a small, independent organisation FAST relies on working collaboratively with other members of the AT community, across statutory, voluntary and private sectors to bring innovative products to market and to improve services for disabled and older people.
Their aims are to:
- Ensure that development of assistive technology and service delivery is led by the needs and wishes of disabled and older people.
- Bring together the people who use assistive technology, researchers, developers, manufacturers and service providers to build effective partnerships.
- Co-ordinate information sharing and collaboration within the assistive technology community.
- Raise awareness about emerging technologies for disabled and older people.
- Provide expert analysis and highlight the issues within the research and development of new assistive technology products and services.
- FAST provides information on the website about a wide range of research being carried out into AT product development and service improvement.
- It also maintains information on completed research so that the learning from these projects can be incorporated into new studies.
- Information on research in AT is provided to external organisations through the Annual Report to Parliament, which provides an overview of current activity.
- Each month FAST produces a free email bulletin with breaking news and current issues affecting the provision of AT services.
- They work as a project partner in a range of nationally significant research and development programmes.
- Increasingly they act to get disabled and older users of assistive technology involved in the design and provision of assistive technology solutions.
Last updated on 21/07/2012
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.