The HSP/FSP Support Group helps people diagnosed with Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia [also known as Familial Spastic Paraparesis (FSP) or Idiopathic Spastic Paraplegia]. It is a UK based 'self-help' group and was started in 1989. They now have over 300 members in the UK.
The Group aims to encourage and support members and to assist research. They have recently provided grants to teams researching aspects of the condition and they regularly publish information about HSP and the Group to members. The Group provides various ways for members to keep up-to-date and communicate with each other:
- An Annual General Meeting featuring lectures by HSP/FSP specialists.
- Regional meetings are held twice a year in some regions.
- A newsletter published to members quarterly.
- A telephone and e-mail help-line offering advice and support to members.
- A library of information articles on HSP.
- An Information Booklet is published to members containing a synopsis of helpful items.
- Grants to members to help with the purchase of mobility aids.
- An e-mail list server system to share information and experiences.
Last updated on 21/07/2012
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.