Tel: 01844 348 100
Hearing Dogs for Deaf People trains carefully selected dogs to alert severely or profoundly deaf people to the everyday sounds that hearing people take for granted such as alarm clocks, doorbells, telephones, smoke alarms, etc. The dogs are trained to communicate by touch and then either lead to the sound source or lie down to indicate danger. Potential owners are carefully assessed as to the degree of their deafness and desire to look after a dog. Benefits to those with hearing dogs include the following:
- Feelings of greater confidence, self esteem and well-being.
- A reduction in stress.
- Encouragement to go out more often, meet new people and take regular exercise.
- New interest and responsibility adding a new purpose to life.
- More ready acceptance into the community.
- Increased frequency of visitors and phone calls.
- Constant, devoted companionship.
Last updated on 21/07/2012
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.