Sponsored by the Department of Health (England), Public Health England (PHE) protects and improves the nation's health and wellbeing, and reduces health inequalities. They are responsible for:
- Making the public healthier by encouraging discussions, advising government and supporting action by local government, the NHS and other people and organisations.
- Supporting the public so they can protect and improve their own health.
- Protecting the nation’s health through the national health protection service, and preparing for public health emergencies.
- Sharing our information and expertise with local authorities, industry and the NHS, to help them make improvements in the public’s health.
- Researching, collecting and analysing data to improve our understanding of health and come up with answers to public health problems.
- Reporting on improvements in the public’s health so everyone can understand the challenge and the next steps.
- Helping local authorities and the NHS to develop the public health system and its specialist workforce.
Last updated on 26/08/2015
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.