Antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had to have mynspleen removed due to adrenal removal. Was wondering if everyone has been on antibiotics

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Had splenectomy in Aug 2016 & have been on Erythromycin since then. Was given this as i can't take Amoxycillin.

• Posted

T hank you for y your reply do you get any pain or soreness from this?
  • Posted

Yes. I still get the occasional stabbing pain & the odd twinge. I would suggest taking a painkiller if you are having severe discomfort. The antibiotics are to protect you from infections & won't reduce any pain you have. You should find that the pain will come & go & will become less frequent.  

If you are in constant pain, see your doc.

• Posted

Claritomycin - Klacid LA. I do suffer with cramps but I don't think they are caused by the antibiotics - I think its related to the original surgery

• Posted

T hank you maybe agree but here tonight with hotbottle on to ease the pain
  • Posted

I had my spleen removed in May 2017 and do not take antibiotics. I find it strange that they are recommended in Australia but not in the US. Our medical research indicates that the antibiotics do more harm than good. I did have all the recommended vaccinations and will not be traveling to any areas with malaria/zika or poor sanitation and I'm careful to avoid ticks while hiking. I've not had any problems aside from some minor aches in the area-- I had robotic surgery though, the incisions are much smaller that standard surgery.   

I was terrified in the beginning but I feel great and in good health. I think taking care of yourself is really important, I make sure I get enough sleep, eat well and do light exercise. 

Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.