Concerned

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am  6 weeks post opt  not bending good , still doing p.t.   Range of motion is only 95😔😣percent I can't sleep worried about this. Doctors appointment next week any advice ". Just scared 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am almost 6 weeks post op and cannot bend my knee that well or straighten it fully. Probably normal hopefully🤔Therapy helps tremendously I can bend it much more than I could weeks ago. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Lucy83861,

I had my knee arthroscopy April 3 and still am not 100 %. But I wasn't 100% before surgery, so I wasn't expecting to be. I would like to be at least back to where I was before. I was told it just takes time. I saw my Dr last week, he suggested a shot of lidocaine/steroid; which helped for a few hours...but that's about it. My PT told me scar tissue can build up inhibiting the ability to get full movement. Doing the excersizes should help to keep it bending, which should increase as time passes. Dr said next is gel shots: if that doesn't work; stem cell therapy; then replacement as a lady resort. I would try not to worry much; be diligent with your therapy and icing, and give it time.

• Posted

What did you have done?? I had total knee replacement 2 weeks ago. I still have a great deal of swelling so getting the bend in my knee has been problematic. My physical therapist tells me everyone heals at a different pace and that you just need to "keep at it" and it will come. Sounds like that could be the same for you?!! Range of motion at 95 sounds really good to me but checking with your dr is a great idea. I've also been told that the reality is it can take up to an entire year to completely recover....at least from a total knee replacement. Takes a lot of patience that's for certain. Post what you learn after seeing your dr. Good luck. And hang in there.

MNLynne

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op and just now over 100 percent for range of motion.  It does take time.  I have found that walking really helps.
    • Posted

Hello.  What did you have done?? I'm recovering from tjr. I'm starting my 4th week and am at 87 for range of motion. You are so right.....it really takes time and a whole lot of patience and diligence. I'm still a little stiff legged when walking and cannot go all the way around on a bike. Once I get there I think things will speed ahead. Good luck to you. 

• Posted

Hello

I had a medial and lateral meniscus tear and acl rupture. Doctor took out acl and cut away the torn meniscus. I will have to get ACL repaired but had to wait for full range of motion. I can also pedal bike just takes a minute to get started. I am 0 with extension and 120 with flexion at 7 weeks post op. Therapy works wonders.

• Posted

Wonderful news with your extension and flexion. You're doing terrific. Sorry you have more surgery ahead but it will all be worth it in the end. I'm eager to get to 120 - - am at 87 4 weeks out. What a tedious healing process right?! Good luck to you in the future. 

• Posted

I had a chondroplasty done on my right knee.  For the fist 5 weeks I felt like it was the biggest mistake of my life.  I couldn't go all the way around on the bike so I did what we called rocking.  Pedel as far forward as you can go hold for 10 seconds and then pedel backwards as far as you can go and hold for 10 seconds.  I did step ups and paid attention to when I was standing that my leg was straight.  I walked stiff legged also and had to pay attention to my leg that I was walking the right way.  

• Posted

Ah. Your first 5 weeks sound exactly like where I'm at right now after having a tkr 4 weeks ago. I like the reference "rocking". I'm doing that as well. It's hard not to automatically walk stiff legged; when I walk normally I feel that tug on my surgical knee and it's a bit disconcerting. But you're right that you really need to tune in and concentrate on walking correctly. I just keep telling myself every week is another week forward. Glad to know you're apparently doing well with your recovery at this point. Hope at the end of the tunnel!!

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I've only just found & signed up to this forum, I hope you're fairing a bit better now as I can see your original message was 2 myths ago? But... in case you're still struggling... I had a partial meniscectomy 2 months ago and it has all gone rather pear-shaped - I ended up with bleeding into the joint which needed syringing out (twice, a week apart) and my bend was barely anything. Over the past 2 months I've had 2 MUAs, the first hardly did anything, the second one (last week) has finally given me more range - I'm up to 120 degrees (with a push and pain!) I'd be really interested to know how you're getting on as I've been told my recovery is far from normal for what was meant to be a relatively straight forward (medial) meniscectomy. Physio exercises have my crying a lot, and I just can't see how I'll ever get my leg to bend further. I have "profound quad weakness" too which doesn't help (I think the bleeding in the joint aggravated this) so I'm still on crutches with a very unstable knee. 

So... have you managed to get your range of movement higher now? Has an MUA been suggested? That may help? Sally .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.