"Adrenaline Rush" sensation as I drift off- Sleep Apnea? Need Relief

Posted , 72 users are following.

I'm writing here because it'll be Agust 28th  before I can even see a doctor. Lately, when I try to go to sleep, just as I start to drift off, I get something that I can only describe as a surge of adrenaline waking me up. This happened once a few weeks ago and has been consistent ever since, especially the last 2-3 nights. Sometimes it leaves a sensation in my chest, other times, in my brain. I've heard the adrenaline feeling is a symptom of sleep apnea.

My questions are if 1.) anyone else with sleep apnea can confirm this symptom as one that might be SA, or if it could be something else.

2.) In the time between now and whenever I can get to my doctor, is there anything I can take OTC, or a sleep postion, etc, that will help? I've tried melatonin, which didnt help, turning off all lights, winding down routines, etc. So if anyone can help me along with some info I would really appreciate it.

2 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you use any medication lately.Did you stopped any medicines cold turkey?
    • Posted

nope. the only new thing I've been taking is a low does generic xanax that my friend gave me to help with this problem. 

• Posted

Hi...

Have you tried getting up trying to realise what it is you feel like doing? Like i dont know but isnt adrenaline like positive bodily reaction? What is the sensation in your heart like? what about the one in the brain? how would you describe them

cheers,

m

• Posted

It is when you arent trying to fall asleep...Its literally right as Im about to crossover into sleep. Like a jolt of energy that surges through my chest.
    • Posted

I have the exact same problem. i dont have any answers as im suffering too and looking for answers. Did it resolve for you? What did the doctors say?

• Edited

Is it not just a hypnic jerk?
    • Posted

I dont think it's a hypnic jerk because my body doesnt move its just a surge of adrenaline that wakes me. I can feel it in my chest, like an energy rush or like a chest drop, but I havent noticed my body jerking at all

• Posted

I know this is an old comment.

I get the same surge and chest drop feeling. Did you find out what caused it?

• Posted

I also am now experiencing this. Anyone have any indication as to what is causing it?

• Edited

hey, me too. i've had it for the past 6months or so. Sounds exactly what this post is describing. I saw a Dr who did some basic respiratory tests which didn't show anything. from what i've seen online it sounds like an anxiety thing. Do you suffer from any kind of anxiety or stress disorder yourself?

• Edited

after exhaustive testing on my adrenals, mri of hypothalmus, internal organs etc, finally came out to be a weak pancreas putting out more insulin at eve/night after trying to work harder all day with sugars entering the body. im not diabetic nor even pre diabetic but looks like a form of insulin resistance. Anyway, even a slight bit of insulin causes heart palpitations/pounding, sleeplessness, anxiety, low energy and wake ups.

I started following wildfit which limits sugars ro fruits etc and only until noon which then lets the pancreas take a break the rest of the day until bed. A stage 1 weak pancreas results in it actually pumping out insulin when it doesnt need to. Also determined it was the source of my energy surges in the middle of the night! insulin would lower blood sugar, then brain would tell adrenals to fire up cortisol to get liver to release glycogen to raise it back, which then signals pancreas to release more insulin to rebalance...and on it goes. Took me 3 yrs to finally diagnose why certain nights were worst than others. It came down to food intake and how hard my organs had to work all day to manage it. FYI im actually a healthy 45 yr old , 6' male, 185lbs. so makes no sense this is happening but it is what it is. Ever since i reduced sugar after 12 noon, my palps went down 95% and my wake ups reduced considerably! I had to see an endo to verify all this!

• Posted

Im getting a hard surge in my chest as soon as I drift off to sleep. I jump from it and it feels like my chest collapses.. My heart races. It starts where my liver is and goes up into my chest.

My liver function is good. My bloodwork is good. My heart is good. I think next im gonna get my thyroid checked. I do get heart palpitations during the day but not many. I get 1 or 2 during the night. I noticed the surge is worse when I lay on my back. I get it everytime I lay on my back. Not as much on my left side. Never on my right side. Its really annoying.

• Posted

Yes,

I suffer from really, really bad depression and anxiety. I do believe that it is related to my insomnia and my sudden awakenings because when the anxiety gets worse, the sudden awakenings get worse as well. I am at my wits end. I'm hoping for some better meds to help deal with this, but I also worry that I may get dependent on them too. Ugh!

• Edited

Is this a real thing? You say an endocrinologist diagnosed this but i can't find any information on a "Stage 1 weak pancreas". In an earlier reply you mention that you were referred for a sleep study for apnea, did you find out which of these two things was the cause of your symptoms? I would love to hear some hard science, my doctors are quite puzzled by my case. I've had 6 month periods where I average 1 or 2 hours a night of sleep because of my adrenaline rushes. Feels like I am on the verge of another episode, so I am annoyed.

I also have sharp stabbing pains in my celiac plexus often after eating, sometimes involuntary limb movements as well, constant, body-wide small-scale muscle fasciculations, and also violent body-wide "spasms." The spasms can really trigger a massive adrenaline rush, but I get the rushes even without the spasms.

My doc has run a truly staggering battery of tests. I am not diabetic, do not have pheochromocytoma, kidneys are fine, sleep test did not catch my symptoms. CT scan showed nothing visually wrong with any of my internal organs. Only thing that was ever detected as being outside normal range is my parathyroid hormone, which was slightly elevated due to Vitamin D deficiency.

I have been on a lot of medication in the past, more than I could list. For long periods I took Paxil, Seroquel, Clonazepam, and Tetracycline. I quit everything but Seroquel in 2015, and then quit Seroquel in 2018 as I felt that the adrenaline rushes, in combination with the Seroquel was a feeling worse than death.

• Posted

have you solved your issue with this? as im experiencing the same thing

• Edited

Hi do you still get this? if not what did you do to solve it as im experiencing the same!

• Edited

hello,

were you ever diagnosed with anything? your symptoms are the exact same as mine.

thanks!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.