''Borderline thyroid; to re-test in 3 months'', but how am I to cope with my constant fatigue :/

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 49, perimenopausal; good BMI. Blood tests have ruled out diabetes and anaemia, but revealed borderline hypothyroidism, but haven't put on weight recently, nor do I feel cold easily (infact, i'm the opposite: don't like heat!). I'm so exhausted everything is an effort, and my thighs often ache when I'm active. I also get light-headed and dizzy spells. I've been on Venlafaxine for depression for years, and believe my current dose to be one that works quite well for me, and i'm not particularly stressed.

I have made an appointment with another doctor for a second opinion, as am at a loss.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona, fatigue, joint and muscle pains and dizzy spells can be a symptom of many other conditions especially at our age so maybe your GP is holding back from treating you until she sees the levels rise further. My GP did exactly the same until I finally said to her I don't agree as my levels were riding after each test and I told her I need to be treated. I had about 5 tests. May I ask what your recent test results are?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply smile All I was told (by the receptionist, over the phone) was that the result was ''borderline thyroid'' and to book for another test in 3 months..! Surprised how long the gap is. Hence my decision to see another doctor; perhaps he may be able to give me the exact result.
    • Posted

The first doctor, I saw, listened to my heart, so i assume that's okconfused, but she didn't take my blood pressure, or anything else, which i only realised later! A doctor at my previous surgery used to monitor my blood pressure regularly, due to my medication.
    • Posted

You can call your surgery and ask for your results - I also ask for a print out. You can ask your GP to refer you to an endocrinologist x
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll do that. I've checked the NHS patient help site, and the average waiting time, from GP referral to appointment with the endocrinologist, at my local hospital, is 45 days. So better that, than waiting twice as long for another blood test!wink
    • Posted

I've got repeat blood test brought forward to later this month. Since you asked re: results, liver function, blood counts, B12 & folate, all normal.

Slight abnormalities were: TSH 4.4, gamma GT 47, slight macrocytosis without anaemia (102)

• Posted

Good. It's the best way forward. This is what I did just 4 months ago and I am now being treated and believe me, the thyroxine really mades a difference :-)
  • Posted

I developed my under active thyroid during the menopause. Started on a low dose of 50 mg then up to 75 mg then finally up to 120mg where I've bin for about 10 yars. My problem was that I had such terrible side effects to the tablets. It wasn't the thyroxine I was allergic to but the components within it. Can honestly say it was the worst year of my life, 
    • Posted

I'm having similar problems, having become allergic to the tablets and am interested as to what components of the tsblets were you allergic to?

Also, how did you find out?

• Posted

my hairdresser of all people said her friend was having trouble with the pills but was able to take the liquid version as it had less of the components in it. I take the liquid version and I am fine. For the six months I was on the pills I thought I was going insane. I had splitting headaches, I could not be shut in the house but couldn't leave it without someone taking me. I couldn't stand in a queue without feeling I was going to pass out, it was a total nightmare. Never did find out what I was allergic to. The doctor didn't seem keen to follow it up but after only a few days on the liquid thyroxine I was so much better and after a month I was feeling back to my old self and got my life back.. Maybe it could do the same for you. Let me know how you get on. 
    • Posted

Hi beaubic, unfortunately it's not for me - I tried one 6.25ml spoonful of the liquid thyroxine and swelled up! So I've now bought thyrogold off the web (don't need prescription) and it seems fine. I'm still building up the dose - I started on 1x150mg tablet for 2 days, then 1x150mg twice a day. After a week of that, I increased it to 2x150mg in morning and 1x150mg 6 hours later (started yesterday). It seems to be working fine. Brain fog lessening (I need to build up my levels of the thyroid medication, but the way it is improving, I am hopeful brain fog will go completely). Eczema on hand started improving last night. Leg eczema patch isn't itching anymore today - though it was really bad last night. I have more energy. My muscles still have very little stamina and fatigue quickly. I'm sleeping better. Except for last night when I must have eaten something I'm allergic/intolerant to. Summary: so far, so good.
    • Posted

By the way, I'm not recommending anyone to take the route I have. I had an underactive thyroid diagnosed in 1991, my TSH =170, and have been on thyroxine for 23.5 years before having problems with it. Though since the birth of my second child in 2000 I have needed to be at the top end of the T4 range else I felt lousy and ccouldn't function. I am well versed in adjusting my thyroxine medication based on my symptoms (with full knowledge and support of my GP).
  • Posted

If you can get away without taking the pills all well and good.  But it is dangerous not to take medication if you need it. 
    • Posted

Thanks, tbf, one of things am a bit worried about. My mother was on thyroxine and she was fine with it, so just hoping i will too. wink
  • Posted

My mum had thyroid problems to. She initially had overactive. But had radioactive iodine injected which is difficult To judge the exact dose so she then became under active. But I was under active straightaway. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.