'Brain fog' for almost a week now, please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I came back from a long overseas trip a little more than a week ago and a day or two after i arrived i started having this weird sensation in my head. I dont think its a fully blown headache but I feel slightly out of touch sometimes, my head feels heavy and i have this dull feeling at the base of my skull on the left side, which is really worrying me. Ive also had a runny nose which started a day or two after my head. Sometimes it goes completely (for example when im doing something very engaging or when ive just woken up), but just when i start thinking im getting better it comes back again. Its been almost a week of this constant on and off 'brain fog', and I've been really worried about it ever since it started( the waterworks were in full swing for an entire weekend)

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a low grade infection where headache or malaise is just a symptom. One in five people traveling by plane are subject to viral infections due to the massive number of contacts. Add jetlag and I'm surprised you feel so good! See how it pans out over the next week.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply AchyFace, no jetlag actually as I was travelling due South. I also feel as if my left ear is ever-so-slightly blocked(which started maybe 3 days after the headaches and stuffy nose), as if I were on a plane or underwater, but it hasnt affected my hearing, and it seems to come and go as well. Does this tally with the infection theory?

I tend to rely too much on getting answers from google, which fuels my anxiety, so basically I'm petrified I've developed some kind of tumour.. 

• Posted

Congestion due to inflammation in the upper airways, be it from a viral illness, allergies, barotrauma from airflight or swimming to any significant depth etc, will cause the eustacian tube that runs between the back of your throat and your middle ear to function poorly. like when you yawn and 'pop' your ears to equalize the pressure. You can google eustacian tube dysfunction. The answer is , yes, your symptoms do sound like either a cold or allergies given the runny nose, headache, and now the ear symptoms. You could try a decongestant, provided no high blood pressure or other drug interaction, like Sinutab for a week. No guarentees.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.