"Calcium supplements don't work, say experts"

Posted , 6 users are following.

See article in The Telegraph (UK) citing two BMJ studies.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Nah....not going down that path! I will continue with my calcium both dairy and a supplement as well as vitamin D, magnesium, etc. 

I use my common sense and it tells me not to go off calcium.

I have lived long enough to know that trends change. The butter/margarine debate is a good example.

I think what is forgotten is that one size does not fit all; it is based on each individual. My husband cannot have dairy nor can a couple of my kids so they do not.

One of my daughters is anti carb not just the bad carbs! She believes in a high fat diet. I do not agree so do not follow her.

I cannot tolerate a lot of sugar so I do not have added sugar.

Sometimes, we need to wait and see the arguments and there are always counter arguments. 

For now, I will be having milk in my tea, yoghurt, cheese, and if I need a cacium top up, I will be doing that!

• Posted

I too, Kathleen have lived long enough to know that trends change. Every so often "researchers" discover a new reason to preach to us about what we should be eating.

Listen to what your own body is telling you is my philosophy. I take calcium with magnesium and liquid Vitamin D3 but only when I feel I need it - not as a matter of routine. I also take a "High Five" vitamin mineral supplement but again only for a short period, then take a rest.

I do eat some dairy, because I like it, but calcium is obtained from other foods not just diary.

I await with interest what the next eating trend will be!!!

• Posted

Another example is th egg argument! Remember how everyone believed that one. People would not have eggs because of cholesterol!

Potatoes was another one. Still is in regard to the carbs!

I agree it is individual and you take what you need.

Because older women need four serves of calcium a day it is hard to get enough it hour dairy and or supplements though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.