"Golden List" of tips for depression/anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All, 

Some tips for combatting depression/anxiety. I hope they can be of help to some people. I find that following these tips helps me a lot. smile 

1. Identify when you are anxious and DO something about it 

RELAX:  use a breathing technique, going somewhere quiet and just relaxing for a few minutes (perhaps a few minutes outside and listening to birds or watching the world go by), mindfulness (look up online, also involved in yoga) and meditation, listening to relaxing music.

OR ACT : tell someone how you feel if they’re bothering you, stop procrastinating, often this involves just committing to making a decision even if you don’t really like the options you have

This step also involves realising what might be at the root of your anxiety/depression altogether. Is there something in your life that’s actually really bothering you and you’ve just been ignoring it? And more importantly, is there something you can do about it?

It’s also important  to identify any negative thinking styles (Moodgym, an online cognitive behavioural therapy course, or some self help books – eg. David Burns Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy will help with this) and start to counteract by identifying when you think the thoughts and then counteracting by questioning how true/false  the thought is and trying to look at things in a more positive perspective and then deciding on your next step (stop mindreading/work on relationship with such and such etc.)

2. Sleep 

Ditch caffeine in the evenings (or even altogether), wake up at the same time every morning and go to bed same time every night. Your body craves routine! Try not to eat too late as it will disrupt your sleep but make sure you’re not hungry going to bed as you’ll find it very hard to get to sleep then

3. Exercise

Can be hard to get going but will help sleep. Running is good as it helps get rid of all the adrenaline so it decreases anxiety and the cardio of course is good for your overall health. Running has also been shown to increase what  is called neurogenesis – making new brain cells. This process is decreased in depression but can start up again in response to exercise such as running. It takes maybe 3-4 weeks to kick in though. (The same as antidepressants which work by the same method it is proposed  [smile]  ) Yoga can be great for relaxing too. Put on some quiet music and soft lightingand away you go at your own pace. You can find videos on Youtube   [smile] You could even go for a walk if you didn’t like the sound of running or yoga. Whatever works for you! :D And don’t forget exercise means endorphins and endorphins mean less stress, more happiness! :D

4. Eat well

Eat regularly and well. Try to feed your body nice healthy food. If you get IBS this really helps. Keeping a food/sleep/activities diary can help show if foods you eat/tiredness etc. are triggering IBS symptoms/irritability/low mood.

5. Do things that make you happy/relaxed

Even if you are finding it hard to get enjoyment out of things you used to, still try to keep it up. Whatever you do, don’t give up and go into rebellion mode and stop doing normal everyday things. Even if you don’t get any study/work done, try to make sure you’re doing SOMETHING. Watch your fav. TV show, play/listen to music, go for a walk outside in sunshine, read a book. You will feel better when you get active as you won’t feel guilty/lazy for not doing anything. Set small goals for yourself e.g. today I’m going to tidy my bedroom and shower and get to bed on time. The more you accomplish them one at a time, the more you can start adding to the list! :D

6. Surround yourself with positive people or people who are good for you/supportive 

No point wasting your time with people who will  bring you down :D 

Best wishes to all and peace out, 

Agirl xxx

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi anonymousgir,

I dont want to be negative as your advice is sound in the most part but item 6:-

6. Surround yourself with positive people or people who are good for you/supportive 

"No point wasting your time with people who will  bring you down :D" 

Not so good when you are living in a situation where a member of your family is in  palliative care.  or maybe I'm being too sensitive and I apologize if that is the case.

• Posted

Hi Dave, 

Your kind of case was not what I was talking about. That you can't really change and also, it is not your family member's fault that they are in palliative care. 

Tip number 6 refers to "friends" or partners even that may put you down verbally on purpose, or not be supportive. For example "fairweather friends" who do not care to hear about your sad news but only the good. What I meant was surround yourself with people who mean the best for you and who try the best to support you or be there for you within their own means. Don't stick with people who can make nasty or insensitive jokes or rude comments about your disposition, are hard on you or abusive etc.

I guess try not to be with people who TRY to bring you down.

I hope that clears it up for you. 

Sorry to hear that your family member is ill and you have no way to control it. I suppose just try and accept and have peace with the fact that it's not your fault and that you can't reverse the situation but try to be there for them as much as you can despite your own problems? 

All the best, 

Agirl xx

• Posted

Hi,

On reading what I had written again and after having read your comments, I feel that I must apologize to you because I think that I might have taken a more personal "direct" view of what you wrote originally, like it was a direct attack on me and a family member.  I hope that makes sense and I want everyone to know that I fully indorse your Six Golden Points and can only say that I must have been a particularly low point at the time.

• Posted

Hi Dave, 

I appreciate your message. Apology accepted smile 

Peace out, 

Agirl x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.